Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Frontier Router with Firewalla appliance

Has anyone any experience with using the Firewalla firewall device (firewalla.com) in conjunction with the Telstra Frontier router (Technicolor DJN2130)?  I have been using the Firewalla for some time in simple monitoring mode and I very much like the information it gives and the protection it affords against hackers trying to penetrate my network. The problem though is that Firewalla's monitoring (which uses ARP spoofing to intercept traffic) crashes the router sporadically. The router logs show a kernel crash on bootup, but as the logs are restarted on startup the cause of the crash is not recorded.  There is no Syslog interface from the router so pre-crash logs cannot be captured.  I have been working with Firewalla support and they have suggested a few things which so far haven't worked. Switching off monitoring stops the crashing but also obviates the purpose of having this device.

I am hoping that someone else may have solved the problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Frontier Router with Firewalla appliance

They aren't likely to be compatible. You may be better luck trying a third part router recommended by your firewall provider.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

There's a limited choice of routers if you want to retain your landline as putting the Frontier into bridge mode and using another router will kill the SIP interface.  

Highlighted

Discoveries so far:

- Firewalla's simple mode which uses ARP spoofing to intercept traffic for examination definitely crashes the router kernel after a while.

- Firewalla's experimental simple mode (no details of what it does is given), doesn't crash the Frontier router.  I had an issue with a Plex server standing up  UPnP ports which the router confuses, and which built into a long list over a few days and eventually led to erratic router behaviour. I reset the Plex server to not attempt to provide WAN connection ports and all is well so far.

Information provided to assist anyone else trying this combination of router and firewall appliance.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@Tony43 wrote:

There's a limited choice of routers if you want to retain your landline as putting the Frontier into bridge mode and using another router will kill the SIP interface.  

Depending on connection type a third party modem/Router or Third party Router can be used as the main router and the Frontier used as VOIP ATA with its WAN port connected to LAN port on main Router.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit