David_e
Level 1: Cadet

FTTC

I currently have Telstra cable internet and NBN FTTC is being implemented at my address. What will be the speed difference? Will the same router work?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: FTTC

If you have one of the older modems a Gateway max C6300BD or Home Network Gateway CG3100D it is not compatible with NBN FTTC as you might get internet to work but the phone will not work.

If you have a cable adapter and a separate modems such as the Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355), Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230), Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231), Telstra Gateway Max TG799 or Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800), the modem is suitable for FTTC.

Unless you pay extra for a speed boost your speed will either be 25/5 or 50/20 on NBN. There are also some very cheap NBN plans that Telstra doesn't advertise that only provide a speed of 12/1.

David_e

Thanks cf4, I will check what model of modem/router I have when I get home.  I'm not really interested in the phone, I plan to ditch my home phone anyway, only ever receive spam calls anyway.

I will most likely take a 50/20 plan.  I assume that will provide similar or faster speed than I currently get through my cable internet.

cf4

Unfortunately all Telstra NBN plans come with a phone service. Even if you don't use the phone there is no discount for using internet only. If modem is not compatible you should receieve a free NBN compatible modem with 4G backup if you stay with Telstra.

The upload speed will be faster 20Mbps on NBN versus 5Mbps on cable but download speed will be slower 50Mbps on NBN versus 100 Mbps on cable.

David_e

My modem/router is the Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS..   I have done a quick search on this modem and it seems it is not good.   I will look to getting something better.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

The Gen 11 Smart Modems have 4G fall-back in the case of NBN failure.  Telstra also sells a UPS especially designed for the Gen 11 modems, They sell for just under $80.00.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit