Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

FTTN Central Splitter

I am getting FTTN installed to replace my existing ADSL2+. An existing ADSL2+ central filter is installed, sending voice to the PABX and Data to a dedicated line for the gateway max modem. When I switch to FTTN, will I need to replace the ADSL2+ splitter? Will a VSL splitter work instead, to connect the PABX system and back to base alarm? Can I use the gateway max modem as a splitter, connecting the PABX to the phone outlet on the modem?

Thanks in advance,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: FTTN Central Splitter

You need to talk to your PABX supplier and your security supplier. Neither of these work on FTTN.

A 3G dialler for most security systems costs around $200 installed (I got mine done last week).

As far as the PABX goes, Ihave no idea what the solution is.

Once the NBN FTTN connection is made, the phoneline becomes an internet line only and your phone connects via your modem as it becomes a VOIP service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Also, your internet and phone will not work if there is a power outage (there is no way around that with the FTTN technology that NBN Co is using).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

"You need to talk to your PABX supplier and your security supplier. Neither of these work on FTTN.

A 3G dialler for most security systems costs around $200 installed (I got mine done last week).

As far as the PABX goes, Ihave no idea what the solution is.

Once the NBN FTTN connection is made, the phoneline becomes an internet line only and your phone connects via your modem as it becomes a VOIP service"

Sorry to be so blunt, this sounds like pure BS. Just another money grab...

FTTN will have VSN, so all that is needed is a VSN filter, or a VSN compatible modem.

From the NBN site:

"To prepare for your service over the new nbn™ network being switched on in your area, simply set up your VDSL2 compatible modem using the instructions given by your service provider. This modem should have been supplied by your service provider or if you already have a modem it must be VDSL2 compatible for it to work over the nbn™ network."

"Can I use more than one phone socket in my home? This will depend on your individual circumstances, so you should speak to your service provider. As the modem will connect to just one of your existing telephone wall sockets, and your phone into the back of the modem, you may need additional cabling installed by a certified cabler to connect the phone to other wall outlets"

'Telephone devices Your current phone should work over an nbn ™ fixed line service unless it is a rotary dial or pulse dial based phone. Your phone may need a converter or a new cable if it has an old connector plug. Your phone provider will be able to confirm this.'

Highlighted

"Also, your internet and phone will not work if there is a power outage (there is no way around that with the FTTN technology that NBN Co is using)."

More BS...

All that is required is a UPS power supply connected to the modem.

Highlighted

No. The NBN is incompatible with the Back to Base Alarm systems. That is advice straight from NBN Co. and every ISP in their conditions when you sign up.

You also cannot get a battery backup for an FTTN system as the Node is on the same power supply as the houses that it services, so if the power goes out at your home, so does the power at the node (they have no backup battery either). The Fibre to VDSL converter goes dead and there is no internet and therefore no phone service to your home. I can verify that as I took a stickybeak when the Nodes were getting installed in my area a couple of months ago and was chatting to the contractors installing them.

That is unlike the Telstra Cabinets that have tophats on them which do have a backup power supply (the one near my place has a small diesel generator). They do keep the phones working and unfortunately they will be decomissioned.

You can get battery backup for an FTTP service though. It doesn't have the same technological limitations.

@Astroobserver you need to do your homework properly before spouting an opinion.

Highlighted

Oh, and I don't work in the Telecommunications industry either. So it is definitely not a money grab.

Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

@Jupiter - LOL to your final sentence ^^.
Anyone who goes out and buys a UPS for their FTTN comms equipment and computers so they can continue to be on the internet when power goes out to their property and surrounds is wasting their money. The only benefit you will gain is the chance to correctly shutdown your computers and confirm that the power outage isn't just your property.
You're better off having a PAYG 4G USB device that you can connect to your FTTN modem and use as a failover.
I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.
Highlighted

Well, my advice is that if the back to base alarm system is managed properly, it should work. I will let you know when FTTN is installed. I was not aware nodes do not have power backups, they might not be the same in all areas? The Telstra rep told me UPS would work, not that I use it or need it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit