Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

FTTN for Small Business

Answered

Hi All,

I look after the IT for a small business that has been struggling on a 2Mbps ADSL link for years with few options to improve service.

The area is scheduled to be Ready for Service on the 29th January for FTTN-based NBN Services.

Looking at Telstra's small business plans (https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/broadband/nbn), I see a lot of references to Fibre (which I presume means FTTP), but no reference to FTTN specifically.

Do Telstra have small business plans for FTTN?

I'm basically looking for 300GB/month with 100/40Mbps and importantly, with a static IP address.

Also, what options for Modems/Gateways do Telstra offer for FTTN?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: FTTN for Small Business

Yeah for sure. But even say 50/10 is going to be a huge increase from 20/1 for Those near the exchange/node
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

My area went RFS a couple of weeks ago for FTTN. I am currently on a Bizessentials plan for a home office.

Support advised they expect the FTTN plans to be released sometime in January. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey i beleive FTTP is the only option for fibre i dont believe there doing FTTN (dont take my word best call business or visist your local telstra business centre) static IP can be done as long as it is through business

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Apple & Android Enthusiast, iPhone 6 Space Grey 128GB
iOS 10.0.2

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Highlighted

The NBN FTTN offering are just a VDSL service. so they will install cabinets for each area to cover each area ~350-400 houses... but the same as ADSL, the futher you are away from the node the lower the speeds. 

With NBN now they just have 'Fixed' which is covering all the MTM fixed types of NBN (HFC, FTTN, FTTP, FTTB), they have the same speed options listed on all fo them, except FTTN which is getting graet speeds near the node but not outstanding speeds futher away from it (still better then ADSL, they are getting speeds more like 20Mbps at the slower end) 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Yeah definitely something to remember Doc. FTTN isn't likely to be anywhere near 100/40, especially in the upstream direction.

We're likely to get FTTN here in about 18-24 months according to NBN. I already get 20Mbps down, but I am looking forward to the approx 5Mbps up. Even though I'd love 40, even 5 will be a huge improvement.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

They were getting upload speeds of up to 40Mbps in the trial, but yeah, a lot of people will not see uploads that high.
Helpful Links

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Yeah, though trials in small areas with short cable runs in great condition will likely be very different to the wider rollout. I expect 5-20Mbps upstream will be more what we can expect once FTTN gets rolled out more widely. This is based on current VDSL networks already in place around the country.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yeah for sure. But even say 50/10 is going to be a huge increase from 20/1 for Those near the exchange/node
Helpful Links

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

My area went RFS a couple of weeks ago for FTTN. I am currently on a Bizessentials plan for a home office.

Support advised they expect the FTTN plans to be released sometime in January. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit