Asdfghjklpo
Level 1: Cadet

FTTN NBN Back to Base Alarm removed and now VDSL stopped working

Hi, 

can anyone riddle me this? I have recently moved house and gone from FTTP to FTTN NBN connection. New premises was previously on ADSL before we moved in. NBN tech came out and did the cut over, everything went smooth, and I had my Gateway connected via the socket in the study.  I did note at the time that the back to base alarm was still connected to the telephone socket but thought nothing of it as the alarm company was due to visit to install a mobile dialler. Broadband speed has been 'ok' at +/- 40mb/s on a 100/40 plan and just figured this was due to FTTN product. 

Alarm tech arrived, unplugged the telephone cable from the back to base alarm and went about his business. The telephone socket is still in situ.  Now however the NBN has stopped working on the gateway. I've tried resets, restarts, power cycles, isolation tests with other cords, filters, you name it, still can't get a working service from the socket in the study BUT if I move the modem to the socket that was used by the alarm I can get sync at no more than 9mb/s.  

I'm waiting on a call back from level 2 support but that seems to be taking a loooooooong time for them to respond (gone are the days of CSG!). 

So so in the meantime I'll throw it out here - any suggestions?

the only other thing I can think of to mention is I did spot a NBN tech leaving in his vehicle from the street yesterday at around the same time as the issue occurred - although I'm of the thought that if something happened at the cabinet then it would be no Internet, not slow unless the reduced distance (small) to the node from the alarm panel socket over the socket in the study has provided just enough to be able to sync to signal?? This one has me beat on possible solutions! 

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: FTTN NBN Back to Base Alarm removed and now VDSL stopped working

Have you tried using the socket that the alarm used.

cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

@Asdfghjklpo this kinda sounds like a botched job

this sounds like what you maybe entitled to but not sure of your exact situation

https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/customer-service/priority-assistance

if you havent rung these numbers yet

these are the phone numbers:

Line faults: 13 2203

Line connection: 1800 331 286

i hope that might help

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Asdfghjklpo

Hi thanks for commenting.

@cf4Yes currently have the modem plugged into this socket and can achieve a 9mb connection which will do for the time being until a resolution is found. @cretsiah I suspect faulty wiring but will be interesting to see what else comes out in the wash! Currently waiting further advice from NBNco/Telstra.  It's just a little bizarre that all was working well until the alarm was unplugged at the socket. 

cf4

The phone socket that had the alarm plugged  in is directly connected to the phone line going into your house. the socket in the lounge is connected in series with this. unplugging the alarm disconnected the  lounge socket. I suspect you will need to get some one to rewire your sockets. The alarm technician should have done this or at least told you about it.

The alarm socket probably has filters to isolate the alarm signals from the telephone signals and is probably why it only works at reduced speed. I have never installed or worked on one of these alarm systems but that is probably how it works.

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

@Asdfghjklpo

This is more likely due to internal wiring issues.

FTTN is very sensitive to internal wiring issues (compared to ADSL and ADSL2).

This youtube video explains how the wiring should be done in FTTN.

As you have more than one sockets, unused wire can act like an antenna causing noise. You can fast forward the video to 12th minute if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4-JLwBK-I

Hope these help.

Asdfghjklpo

Thanks all, 

So, Telstra finally got back to me - NBN advised no fault found from their testing... to which Telstra then did some more testing of their own and miraculously the speed improved a little but not a lot (from 9 up to about 20 mb/s). 

One thing I hadn't (stupidly) done was isolate the wireless as a possible issue - plugged the laptop in via LAN and was reaching 70+mb/s speeds easily - then it dawned on me... my connected devices were using the 2.4Ghtz channel not 5G so flipped over and wham bam thankyou ma'am I had faster wifi speeds Smiley Very Happy I was happy with 65mb/s at 6pm!  I suspect that a couple of things happened here, yes some faulty wiring to the additional socket which I can take care of later, but also I'm thinking that the newly introduced mobile network dialler for the back to base alarm is interfering with the 2.4ghtz which is easy to solve by not using it. 

So it's not 100mb/s and never going to achieve that a) via FTTN b) via wireless - but at 70+/- mb/s I am more than happy. 

gtillett

Hi, the socket that your back to base alarm previously plugged into should have been a mode 3 socket. This is normally first in line from the wiring coming into the house.This is so the alarm takes priority over anything else connected to the phone line in an emergency when it needs to call out. When the back to base unit is idle the signal is passed through the back to base unit and onwards through the mode 3 connector. When the cable is unplugged from a mode 3 socket it SHOULD transfer the signal directly to the rest of the house. If the contacts in the mode 3 socket are dirty or marginal this can prevent the signal going to other points in the house. As somone else has suggested there could also have been a central filter in the circuit for use with ADSL.

If your VDSL modem works when plugged into the mode 3 socket but nowhere else, then either of these are possibilities.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit