northernangler1
Level 8: Inspector

FTTN NBN coming

FTTN poor mans NBN coming very soon, I have applied to telstra for changeover. Employee stated it will happen in 7 days. New modem has arrived and all is ready.

Next question,

How do I know I am connected ?

When do I install the new modem ?

After reading all the telstra failures in this forum I wonder if it will ever happen. Telstra must think we are total dickheads to put up with the total disregard to their customers. No wonder they are last in all customer service surveys.

Anyway back to the questions, any answers will be appreciated.

Ex telstra technical manager 40 years service

Telstra transmission manager, redundant in 1997 after 40 years.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: FTTN NBN coming

Can install modem anytime but no later than day of cut over. If ADSL modem is still connected on cut over day could block port on Node.. Might have to log into modem click on broadband link and enter username and password if no internet connection. Also ensure PPP enabled is on.

Phone light will come on once cut over to NBN

Gateway default IP address http://10.0.0.138 or http://192.168.1 or http://192.168.0.1 or 192.168.15.1.
Gateway default user name and password
admin/admin or
admin/password or
admin/blank (no password)

Remove ADSL Filter/splitter once cut over to NBN

northernangler1

From your answer it seems my new modem also works on adsl. So if I install the new one I will continue to get internet access.

cf4

Yes the new Gateway DSL modem works on both ADSL and VDSL. It automatically detects what type of link it is connected too. There should only be a 10 minute break while technician disconnects line from DSLAM in exchange and connects it to Node.

northernangler1

Well as expected the modem hooked up to the old ADSL. Big problem now is there is no ADSL and no land line and of course no NBN.

Not a good start.

Guess it is my turn to do the telstra quick side step dance.

Did the contact me thing on the previous email about six hours ago and the promissed call back after 20 minutes didn't come.

Why an I not surprised?

If no go by midday Monday I will contact the TIO and lodge a formal complaint.

I will not stuff around with incompetent staff.

My phone does not have that much data that I can waste it on emails and internet so watch this space.

ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented

@northernangler1, did you connect everything as in the documentation that came with your new modem? If yes, the only issue can be your ADSL username and password. @cf4 above gave instructions on how to do it. On the day they switch you to NBN (I got SMS, subsequently e-mail and another SMS), your modem should go off-line for about then minutes and then you should be on NBN. AFter that, it is really important to remove the ADSL filter and connect only and only one cable - from wall socket to your modem.

This worked perfectly for me. I have now been on NBN for six months and it has been significantly better for me than the ADSL. I was getting 5/1 on ADSL, now getting 24/4.5 on NBN. Not brilliant, but knowing the background and limitations of the technology, I cannot complain. On ADSL, I was too far away from the exchange to get anything better, now I am 1,100 metres from the node, so what I am getting is better than most calculations suggest.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
northernangler1

Performed the installation as described in included set up. I am "online" and also have a "link" green light. No Phone link.

I treid another earlier passwrod and the on ine went red. This probably means the thing is connected OK when it is green.

I have  a few unknown IP addresses that may be somethhing to do with the actual net however the connection beyond these is not active.

I ping these IP's and get no response.Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 4.09.04 pm.jpg

Status shows connected at DS about 8.2Mbits and US about 0.3Mbits which is about right for ADSL

I am quessing the ADSL port has been disconnected and so far the line has not been connected to an NBN port.

As a long ago telstra tech the new porting system is quite beyond me now.

The modem is set to ppp

Everything looks fine, just no data coming in or out. It is the weekend so I can wait a little longer. I only have about 1.5G on my Aldi mobile. It is down to about 1.3 now. Thats about as much as I usually use in a month.

cf4

The last two addresses are the DNS server.

The The other two IP address are the address of Telstra Gateway and the WAN address of your modem.

Are you in a area that is effected by the floods in Queensland? It might be a network problem caused by the floods

northernangler1

Not in flood area, Looks like it has come good. I reinstalled the splitter and the phone works again.

OK lets wait for the nert dance.

northernangler1

Recapping,

I did have a denial of service for some hours, grounds for changing ISP's without expenses. I will now wait till it gets hooked up and check the speed they give me. 

I was on ADSL2 bundle, up to 12 or 20mB if I remember correctly so I guess it will be te 25/5 plan. I never ever managed 20Mb only around 7 due to length of cable tec. If the plan is 12/1 I will look for another ISP, probably skymesh, (australian staff). Been a Telstra employee and customer for 50 years so far.

NBN box is about 100 metres from my home so speeds should be no problem. (barring CRC allocation problems)

25/5 will suit me just fine.

cf4

The basic Telstra NBN plan is 25/5. If not under contract there should be no disconnection fee from Telstra.

northernangler1

Great, 5 up is some 20 times better than I have now. Web uploqads will be fast as.

Thanks

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit