Cazza7
Level 3: Gumshoe

Gaming

Since my internet went down for 3 days last week (i called you guys multiple times and said it was working fine) to only get a random message sms saying your internet is back up and running

Since being restored i am experiencing alot more ping then before the serviced dropped. To a point where i cant play competivitaly, i have tried port forawrding, dmz and qll the rest, i just want to know why it qas working fine before the drop out and now have higher ping after being restored

This is on ps4 btw and yes it is wired connection

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Gaming

Depends if there was damaged cables in your area that could result in the data being routed differently resulting in a higher ping. In general there is no guaranteed latency on consumer services.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
Cazza7

According to them there was no drop out, they said my service was fine and there was none known in the area.

If i run a ping test on my phone via wifi the results are good.
If i run one on my ps4 wired. It is poor
343GuiltySpark

Try running the test on the ps4 on wifi or changing the Ethernet cable. Could be a bad Ethernet cable or and issue with the Ethernet port on the ps4 or modem
Cazza7

Yeh wifi is worse,
What about running the ps4 straight to the cable adapter ?
343GuiltySpark

That can work, See if it makes any difference. If it does try factory resetting the white telstra modem
Cazza7

When connecting straight to the adapter i wass getting massive spikes, up2 550 ms

Ive factory reset the modem few times recently
343GuiltySpark

Okay if you ping your modem 192.168.0.1 you should be getting around 1ms
When you run speed tests what is the ping your getting?
Are the gaming servers you're connecting to overseas and if so where?
Cazza7

Running the ping test through the router settings ping test i get 1ms

Run it through wifi on my phone i get 10ms

Running on ps4 i get 60/70. Where before the drop it used to be 15/20

Runng straight from adapter to ps4 60/70 with massive spikes
343GuiltySpark

If that's running the same speed test on both devices, kinda looks like it more to do with the ps4. Were you able to try a different Ethernet cable or different Ethernet port on the modem
Cazza7

Yeh mate no different.
Cazza7

Anything else to try
343GuiltySpark

I'm kinda leaning towards the play station being the issue as if you run the same speed test (speedtest.telstra.com) on ps4 and phone they should have a similar ping. You could try changing its DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, Apart from the phone and PS4 are there any other devices in the house you could test the ping on?
Cazza7

Just ran on ipad, same results as phone...

So basically the problem is pointing towards ps4. Ive tried new ethernet cable, same results

Or something to do with the router possibly, its the new smart one from telstra, (texhnicolour) i believe
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Try turning off IPv6 in the modem. Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 remove tick.

Cazza7

Done that same results
Just noticed when i do a telstra.com speed test on ps4 browser it doesnt allow a test it comes up saying a firewall could be blocking it
Cazza7

Ive previoisly been doing the test on meter.net which seems the most accurate
Cazza7

Guess you guys ran out of ideas.
It is a little confusing, but i understand the basis of it.

Just trying to figure why results tested via wired and wifi to ps4 the are considerably different then when tested on the phone, ipad other devices, something is telling me its to do with the ps4?

Just curious also why i cant run telstra.com test on my ps4 browser, soemthing to do with the firewall... could they have something to do with it ?
cf4

Has the PS4 been set to use a proxy server?

Cazza7

It has not man
cf4

Did you try changing DNS settings in PS4 to 8.8.8.8 with IPv6 disabled in modem?

Cazza7

Yeh same result
Its trial and error i guess. And ideas would be good keep em rolling
cf4

To make sure it the PS4 that is causing the problem have you tried enabling WiFi hot spot on your phone connecting the PS4 to hot spot and then running a ping test.

Cazza7

I have tried that previously, but because of where my house is located i get bad network on my phone. Someitmes not even 1 bar for 4g, ping results were relatively high with heaps of interference
cf4

It is odd that you only noticed the long pins after the outage which seems to suggest that something has changed with the internet connection that only effects the PS4. The only way to test that the connection is causing the increased ping time is to try the PS4 on another internet connection. Where you using the same Smart modem before the outage? If you were using another modem before the outage try that modem. Apart from that I haven't any other suggestions
Cazza7

Yes i am using the same smart modem, i may get them to send out another and see if that helps.
Just weird how everything is pointing to the ps4, which has a wired connection but gets worse results then the wifi on my phone when tested,
i just ran a test on my phone wifi 13ms
Ran the test on ps4 55ms. So definatly something up.

Should i put that ipv6 setting back on in the mean time or no big deal

Cheers for your help guys.
cf4

In the future it might be necessary to have IPv6 enabled for devices to work properly. I leave IPv6 disabled as on some of my devices I use a custom IPv4 DNS and when IPv6 is enabled the custom DNS no longer work.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit