Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Garbage Service

I have just spent 3 + hours on my mobile on the telstra help page and successfully achieved nothing.  My wifi disconnects at random times when we are online.  The first wifi was a dud on installation a couple of years ago and the next one worked fine until last week, when it started to play up by falling out (no, nothing has been added or taken away from the set up.).  It is not only my desk top but also my wife's laptop and our Ipads.  The clown that i was texting to had no idea, an hour and 20 minutes into the texting to and fro he wanted to know the colour of the lights and if I was able to look at them, then he wanted to know if I had access to the modem and wifi box.

TELSTRA, you must be paying peanuts as wages.

This is utterly ridiculous, he could not grasp the concept that every thing was working, nothing had been changed and then it started acting up.

Why do people lose their kool when you have a problem? GUESS and it has nothing to do with a Karen.  Had I have been talking to him, I am afraid I would have lost it and told him a few home truths about his parentage, however I just went with the flow and go nowhere.

Now can anyone please tell me where my problem is (with the equipment, not my attitude)?  Is it the wifi failed? as when it drops out, windows problem checker comes back with "Default Gateway is not Available and then it gives a fixed tick and it works for a while (not long) and the same thing happens again.  Comments please. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Garbage Service

Hi @Garry49 

Sounds like you have the same issue as this post (And many more on Crowd Support).

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/2-4ghz-not-showing-suddenly-telstra-smart-mod... 

My suggestion, if your hardware is compliant, is to turn off "Band Steering" in the modems WiFi settings (Save/reboot) then try and use the 5GHz band on any hardware that accepts that band for the time being while you wait for a permanent fix.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Hi Ozmos,

thank you kindly, I will see what sort of a mess I can make of it m a bit long in the tooth to be muckin around too much (1949 vintage).

It beggars belief that one has to go through the garbage that I did today, 3hrs and no outcome.  Could it be the wifi box that is the problem?  As I said, the first one didn’t make it to first base, day 1 week 1.

so if you see smoke tomorrow, it could be coming out of my ears.

Again, thank you for the advice.

Garry

Highlighted

@Garry49 wrote:

Hi Ozmos,

thank you kindly, I will see what sort of a mess I can make of it m a bit long in the tooth to be muckin around too much (1949 vintage).

It beggars belief that one has to go through the garbage that I did today, 3hrs and no outcome.  Could it be the wifi box that is the problem?  As I said, the first one didn’t make it to first base, day 1 week 1.

so if you see smoke tomorrow, it could be coming out of my ears.

Again, thank you for the advice.

Garry

Hi @Garry49 

There may be alternative ways of dealing with the issue that @Mkrtich has posted here...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/2-4ghz-not-showing-suddenly-telstra-smart-mod... 

This may test your vintage :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Hi Ozmoz,

I can pull an old car apart and put it back together, I can strip and reassemble an automatic rifle blindfolded (hint to background), i can read a map and navigate across country all without a problem.  But as far as technology goes in the form of computers, I have been tried and tested and found wanting.  I can turn it on or follow directions, but when it comes to the crux of the matter, I need directions to get to the area of where the problem may occur.  I had a look in Control Panel at where I though I might find the techo stuff you were talking about, but !!!!!!!

Yep, now I am back on here. :-(

Some more advice would be nice if you have the time ;-)

Thank You

Garry

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - a recent firmware update may have caused the issue. What is the model of your modem and the firmware level shown on the welcome screen when you type 192.168.0.1 into your web browser? Log-in access to DJA0231 or LH:1000 models is 'admin' for User ID and 'Telstra' for password if you haven't personalised them before. The older DJA0230 may not require any authorisation to access the screens - unsure if latest firmware update has changed that.

Select Advanced Icon, then Wi-Fi Icon. On the 2.4Ghz page Disable Band Steering and Protected Management Frames (PMF). If you have very old 2.4 Ghz devices, alter the Encryption to WPA/WPA2-PSK  and SAVE. You should now see two separate Wi-Fi broadcast names (SSIDs) with same passwords.

If the 2.4 Ghz SSID is visible (it won't have the 5Ghz suffix on the end) , in your laptop, Forget or Delete the previous Wi-Fi Name and reconnect a fresh link. If you can't see the 2.4 Ghz SSID, it may be a faulty radio or firmware glitch that is preventing the 2.4Ghz SSID from working and Telstra need to replace the modem; that may be a challenging task.

If you have kept your previous ADSL or Cable modem, as temporary workaround, it is possible to connect it to the new Telstra modem as an Access Point to have continuity whilst Telstra sort out the problem with the new modem. Let us know if required - there's a good YouTube video on how to do this. 

Highlighted

Hi Mkrtich,

the unit I have is a DJA0230 made in Vietnam.

I am at present stumbling around in the info you have provided above😵😬.

I think, fingers crossed, I have done what you have said above, or on the other hand, I may have to resort to carrier pigeons?  One bit I could not find was the PMF.

Will do a reset on wifi and see what happens.

Highlighted

Hi - the DJA0230 Firmware at 18.1.c 0462-940RA has the PMF setting hidden in the Advanced/WiFi page. You only would require to deactivate it on the 2.4 GHz page. The 5 Ghz setting can be left Enabled as that page should only impact 802.11 ac 5Ghz devices. 

I would expect it to be in the same location if the firmware level has a higher version status - e.g. 18.1.c 0514-950 RB - unaware if it is present on earlier firmware editions, as I have only become aware of this feature recently. Some very old device Wi-Fi Adapters may have issues linking to the modem - unsure if suggestion applies to you until you experiment.

My 8 year old HP Netbook only has 2.4Ghz and links OK to both the 2.4 Ghz bands of both Gen 2 DJA0231 and the LH:1000 modems. It has a Broadcom 4313GN  802.11 b/g/n  1x1 2.4 Ghz Adapter and uses WPA2-PSK, not the WPA/WPA2-PSK. Maybe it only affects some Adapters. 

The only issue with using the earlier version Encryption standard, WPA-TKIP or WPA-PSK is that all 2.4Ghz  devices will drop down to a ceiling speed of 54 Mbps to accomodate the old WPA standard, which may or may not be an issue and the Encryption level is lower than WPA2-PSK. If 'PMF Disable' on the 2.4 Ghz band works, it may be an opportunity to consider an upgrade  of the device's Wi-Fi Adpaper , if practical, to an 802.11 ac to enjoy higher speeds and better security.   

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit