Tex66
Level 1: Cadet

Gen 2 booster random red light

Hey there. 

I have the following setup 

devices>Gen 2 booster (x2)> Gen 2 Modem>NBN

(Boosters are both connected Wi-Fi to modem, not daisy chained)
my booster units spend most of their time on blue light and I don’t have any problems. However at what appears to be random intervals both of my booster units simultaneously go to red light and all devices connected drop Wi-Fi. The modem remains on green light and I have
all 4 lights on the NBN box. Does anyone here know why this happens?  Is there anything I can do to prevent it?  Home schooling via wifi and Working from home I have a PC Ethernet wired to one of the boosters so when it drops all VPN drops and my documents all crash. 

any help appreciated. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Gen 2 booster random red light

It might be a problem with the modem Wi-Fi..  a Wi-Fi analyser app installed on your phone would be a useful tool to check the wi-fi signal at various spots, especially near the modem itself, at the time when the boosters drop out. There are two wi-fi bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and the boosters use an 'hidden' wifi service to link with the modem. A bit of investigation will be needed I think, if the boosters drop out simultaneously.

You might also have a device that is cause the wi-fi band to drop out..

Which version of the Smart Modem 2 do you have - LH1000 or DJA0231?

Have you checked the log in the modem, to see what it shows around the time of the booster drop outs?

I have three boosters, wconnected by ethernet over power links and just use the Wi-Fi at the end point. The third one uses the wi-fi connection and has an unmanaged switch connected to the booster, to distribute internet to various devices. I haven't seen the sort of problem you are describing but I would be looking at the Wi-Fi from the modem.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The drop in Wi-Fi  could be due to the modem changing Wi-Fi Channels. When the modem changing channel it briefly switches Wi-Fi off as it scans for best channel (the  modem's Wi-Fi light stays green).  By default the modem is set to auto channel selection. Suggest you log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and go to Wi-Fi. For the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band choose a channel between 2 and 11 and save settings. For the 5 GHz Wi-Fi choose a non DFS channel and save settings.

Tex66

Update:

I tried to fix the channels as some have recommended. This worked for a while (8-10 hours) but then my internet came to a grinding halt. Low speeds, buffering, kids whinging…. So I changed it back to auto. Again worked for a while until it dropped today. I checked the modems logs and Wi-Fi doctor changed my 5G channel at the time it dropped. Problem this time was all lights said things were ok (green on base, blue on boosters) but the Telstra app said no access to internet, kids complaining, wife’s work dropped out. Power cycled modem and everything came back up…. Is it too much to ask to have something that just works. Do I have to go spend $$ getting a better setup?

Tex66

I have the LH1000. More details from last few days in new reply. 

SteveW_52

Have you tried a Wi-Fi Analyser app? That's the easiest way to see what is happening in the WI-Fi bands.

Another way to check, is to disable band steering on the  Wi-Fi page, 2.4 GHz tab (make sure to save it after doing so). That will then provide two seperate Wi-Fi networks, the 2.4 GHz one will be the usual name, the 5G one will have -5G at the end. Passwords remain the same.

So when you try to connect a device (which you will have to do with devices using the 5GHz band), you should see two similarly named Wi-Fi networks. If, however, you only see the -5G one, then the 2.4 GHZ Wi-Fi has failed in the modem and you will need to report that to Telstra, who should organize a replacement to be sent out to you.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit