Calan
Level 1: Cadet

Good internet speed and video streaming, but very slow internet browsing on all devices

Answered

Hi, I have Telstra premium speed internet (hybrid fibre / coaxial) and am getting speeds in line with those promised by the package. Video streaming (Netflix, Stan, Foxtel) is working well, but internet browsing performance is very poor on all devices (including an ethernet connected windows PC and several wifi connected Iphones and Ipads). In particular, it typically takes >15 seconds to connect to any webpage (even one recently visited), and sometimes connections time out. Some Iphone Apps are also affected (e.g., Apple News typcially takes ~15 seconds for the homepage to load up and browsing individual items is slow). Switching to 4G on our mobile devices solves this problem, so it doesn't seem like it is related to settings on individual devices.

Any ideas what I need to do to sort this problem out? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Good internet speed and video streaming, but very slow internet browsing on all devices

Yes I do suggest you change the DNS settings to another provider.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4

Re: Good internet speed and video streaming, but very slow internet browsing on all devices

You could try changing the both the IPv4 and IPv5 DNS settings in the modem. To change DNS log into modem (http:..192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > Local Network. Select a DNS from IPV4 drop down list and save settings. Repeat for IPv6 then disconnect and reconnect devices or reboot modem.

Calan

Thanks for the response cf4. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to do this - are you suggesting I should change the DNS provider from the current setting (Telstra) to another provider? That's the only thing that it appears I can change via a drop down list.

cf4
Accepted Solution

Yes I do suggest you change the DNS settings to another provider.

View solution in original post

Calan

Thanks for the help cf4 - this change did seem to help, although I'm not 100% sure this was the solution, as performance today is also much better using the default Telstra DNS settings.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit