GJR2021
Level 1: Cadet

Googel Nest Wifi connect to Arris NBN on HFC

Answered

Can I remove my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and simply connect a Google Nest Mesh Wifi system to the Arris CM8200 unit ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Googel Nest Wifi connect to Arris NBN on HFC

Yes the google nest can be connected directly to Arris modem but if you want an phone service you will need to connect the Smart modem to an ethernet port on google nest.

View solution in original post

cf4
Accepted Solution

If the Google nest WiFi was working connected to LAN port of Smart modem it should work connected to Arris modem with same settings. No need to reboot Arris modem.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Doing away with the Smart Modem 2 will remove the 4G Backup capability for your internet service as well, but if that is not a concern, the Nest connected to the NTD should be fine..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Accepted Solution

Yes the google nest can be connected directly to Arris modem but if you want an phone service you will need to connect the Smart modem to an ethernet port on google nest.

GJR2021

no phone needed

GJR2021

So no configuration is required - i can just pull out the Telstra smart modem and plug in the google nest wifi and reboot the ARRIS i assume .. and we are go to go  ???

cf4
Accepted Solution

If the Google nest WiFi was working connected to LAN port of Smart modem it should work connected to Arris modem with same settings. No need to reboot Arris modem.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Doing away with the Smart Modem 2 will remove the 4G Backup capability for your internet service as well, but if that is not a concern, the Nest connected to the NTD should be fine..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

GJR2021

works perfect - my local WIFI went from low 20's to the full 100MBS on the Google Nest vs the telstra smart modem ... yes no 4G back up - but i also have my mobile if needed for short term data.. 

I can also keep the old Telstra SM2 and plug it in IF needed ... 

anway anyone looking for a better solution with MESH then the Google NEST Wifi solution has been awesome

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit