badgrill
Level 4: Private Eye

Google Nest Cams on the 5G Home Internet Service

I've had the 5G Home Internet box for a couple of days now and mostly still everything is great, I managed to set up a NIghthawk extender to get great speeds in my study (at the other end of the house).

So far so good. Except now I have found my Google Nest (Battery) Cameras have gone offline.

I have brought them in close to the modem but still no joy, they still are offline. I tried doing a factory reset on the cams and they worked for a short period (like a couple of hours), but then went down again.

When I walk past them, the green light comes on, so they are still 'working', just not online.

Any ideas? Is there a limit to the number of allowed devices or something on this 5G thing?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Google Nest Cams on the 5G Home Internet Service

There is a limit to the number of devices that can connect but the limit is fairly high and would be the same as on the Telstra Smart modem's. The problem might be due to the Telstra home modem not supporting servers.

Are the cameras shown as connected in the modem's GUI (Overview > Connected devices)?

badgrill

Thanks for replying.

No, they're not showing as connected. They were showing for a few hours - half a day, but when I got a notification they'd gone offline, they disappeared.

I'm thinking maybe something to do with the wifi signal not being compatible or something? Tho they were working, so...

When it gets to the wifi setup stage (of setting up the cam) - "looking for wifi" - it comes up with "Something went wrong" after a few mins of trying to connect. Maybe I'll try setting up using a different phone/ tablet.

I did just set up my new nbn FTTC box and got one cam working using the wifi on that (after 2 attempts), so  I figure it must be the 5G box.

(I'm 'trialling' both boxes for a month and deciding which one to cancel and send back. I'm slightly torn as I REALLY want to use my cams, but the diff in speeds is huge - 25-350 Mbps dl vs 15-25).

May have to just return the cams

cf4

I tried out the 5G Home network and returned it after the one month trial because my IP cameras use a local server which the 5G service does not support. The 5G service also doesn't come with a email address or phone service. 

You could try changing a few Wi-Fi settings on the 5G modem.

Try changing modulation mode.

badgrill

SUCCESS!!!

Persistence does pay off it would seem lol

I changed the 5Ghz Channel # from 'Auto' (it was on something like CH 178 or something) to 44 and that did the trick. I remembered reading somewhere that the Nest Cams don't like channels above 149.

Fingers crossed they stay online...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit