Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

>100 ADSL drop outs per day

Answered

I hope someone can help me. I have called the support number about 10 times over the last couple of months and each time I get a new operator, walked through the scripts, "everything looks ok, we'll put a line monitor on and watch for the next 24 hours" - <NOTHING>

• I have purchased a new modem/router, line filter and cables.
  • I have tried different telephone sockets in my house.
  • I have put a level of noise filtering on via Bigpond.com - I'm on the first level.

NONE OF THIS HAS MADE ANY DIFFERENCE AND I AM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED AS, AT TIMES, MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS COMPLETELY UNUSABLE.

With the new modem/router at least I get better logs. And it also tries to re-establish the connection when it goes down. Though I still feel annoyed that I paid over $130 for something that has not resolved the issue.

Yesterday, my line was dropped 129 times in under 24 hours! Today it was dropping every few seconds and got so infuriating I used my iPhone as a hotspot and burned through all my data allowance. It is truly ridiculous.

Here are my current lines stats - a whole 1hr 6minutes of uptime (nearly a record!):

• Modulation : G.Dmt
  • Annex Mode : Annex A/L
  • Line State : up
  • Lan Tx : 334469
  • Lan Rx : 290440
  • ADSL Tx : 33198
  • ADSL Rx : 380371
  • CRC Down : 6
  • CRC Up : 651
  • FEC Down : 2
  • FEC Up : 10297
  • HEC Down : 6776
  • HEC Up : 182
  • SNR Up : 15.0
  • SNR Down : 6.0
  • Line Attenuation Up : 31.0
  • Line Attenuation Down : 47.0
  • Data Rate Up : 384
  • Data Rate Down : 2976

It all looks horrible: lots of errors, poor SNR, poor line attenuation, and slow transfer rates. Hardly reconciles with what I am paying for!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TAKE A LOOK AT MY LINE AND GET AN ENGINEER TO FIX!? I just can't bare to speak with another call centre operator. I know they mean well but I have got nowhere despite many calls.

For what it's worth, it used to work fine a couple of months ago. The problem seemed to begin following some stormy weather.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: >100 ADSL drop outs per day

Well, I am hopeful that everything is sorted now...

Engineer found the line was kaput and has replaced it. New stats below:

• CRC Down : 0
  • CRC Up : 0
  • FEC Down : 0
  • FEC Up : 0
  • HEC Down : 0
  • HEC Up : 0
  • SNR Up : 24.0
  • SNR Down : 12.5
  • Line Attenuation Up : 18.0
  • Line Attenuation Down : 33.5
  • Data Rate Down : 7616

Zero errors in the first hour of uptime! (yay)

SNR and line attenuation significantly better! (yay)

Data rate down significantly better! (double yay!). Will remove noise profile from my account as well!

I'll be a very happy man (again) if this is the end of the dropouts!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

How is the voice quality on your line?  If it is questionable, you are better off calling Telstra and reporting the fault for the phone rather than the internet (as this could very well be the problem anyway).

There is very little wrong with the stats you have posted, there is nothing wrong with the signal to noise ratio (6 on downlink is spot on).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I don't use a landline so I don't know if it is OK. I might try and borrow one to find out. I moved from the UK and my handset does not work here.

1. What are acceptable parameters for SNR and transfer rates?
  2. What would constituate a high error rate?

My transfer rates are pretty abysmal for what I pay a month. Though I'd be content if I just a usuable connection rather than something that drops out all the time. It couldn't stay connected for more than a few seconds yesterday.

Anyway, where is @PaulQ or someone from Telstra? It looked like some people have success through this channel and I really don't want to have to go through another conversation with someone asking me to try plugging in directly with an ethernet cable; or that it seems to working OK that very second they are looking at it. I have logs to demonstrate how flaky this connection is and it's been going-on for too long now.

Please roll-out the Big Guns and help me!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Adey_123..sorry to read of your issues, I've just pm'd you to grab some more details so I can investigate the root cause, then we can hopefully formulate a fix.

Looking forward to hearing  back so we can nut this one out..

Cheers

CrowdSurfer..

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Well, I am hopeful that everything is sorted now...

Engineer found the line was kaput and has replaced it. New stats below:

• CRC Down : 0
  • CRC Up : 0
  • FEC Down : 0
  • FEC Up : 0
  • HEC Down : 0
  • HEC Up : 0
  • SNR Up : 24.0
  • SNR Down : 12.5
  • Line Attenuation Up : 18.0
  • Line Attenuation Down : 33.5
  • Data Rate Down : 7616

Zero errors in the first hour of uptime! (yay)

SNR and line attenuation significantly better! (yay)

Data rate down significantly better! (double yay!). Will remove noise profile from my account as well!

I'll be a very happy man (again) if this is the end of the dropouts!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Adey_123 Smiley Happy

That's what we like to hear. 

Let us know if you have any further issues  but hopefully there will be no more dropouts.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

wow, Let me join the que, I have had close to 8 Weeks of dropouts meaninh up tp 230 a day,. It seems they(Telstra) have NO IDEA how to fix this other than to say give us more time. SO today I called and asked what is an acceptable number of droputs per day, would you believe at first 3-4 a day, after some questioning it came down to 1-2 [per day. Even that is crazy, I was tols this number is dictated by the technology. What a lot of Bxxxxxxxx. I was told if I changed ISP it would be the same, that may well be the case as it is likely a telstra line that is the issue. In the USA I had Verizon as a supplier, I don't recall even thinking about dropouts may be 2-3 in a month, I am only guessing and a constant tranfer rate of 20Mb/s down and 3Mb/s up. In a recent press briefing the big boss even indicated that Telstra would concentrate their technology efforts in Asia where the business is. OK so what happens in Australia- take a back seat. Let me also say  in Asia they expect better than 2-3 dropouts per day. This is simply crazy and Testra have a lot to answer for.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi nointerest, 

When you discussed your drops with the Telstra tech did they give you any indication as to a way forward, or just left it at 230 drops a day?

If you have a reference number for this case we may be able to follow it up for you.

- Ben D

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

what do you mean an engineer replaced the line? wish somebody would try that on my line. mine drops out 100 times a day. So do my neighbours. So do their neighbours. So do people 1km up the line. And 2km. And 5k's away. Are Telstra going to dig up their sh!t and lay down a completely new cable from here to my exchange? I don't think so.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Without access to your account history, my best advise is for you and your neighbours to report this fault and keep reporting the fault until it is resolved.  - Shelly

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit