Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

HAD A ENOUGH OF MY INTERNET CONSTANTLY DROPPING OUT

I've been with telstra for 12 years and the past 12 months i have put up with the internet constantly cutting in and out 

I have rang non stop to get help to fix this problem telstra tells me oh your problem is your modem it's old you need a new modem so i sign up for a new bundle new modem . tv box  and netflix . presto . stan free for 3 months  

i recieved the modem and tv box but no netflix,presto or stan i ring telstra to say hey what about my 3 months free movies and get told yes we will email it to you but yet no matter how many times i have rang a month later Im still waiting 

as for me needing a new modem what a load of crap i hooked the new modem up and have had more trouble then i had with the old modem internet dropping out every 2 mins and then last night it dropped out for hours no internet at all

Technician have been out first they said there was a fault at the exchange point and it was now fixed but it wasnt fixed then it was there must be a fault at my end and sent the technician to my house when he came out all he asked me was where my flilter box was I showed him then he went outside and done a speed test and left but to top all the crap off the technican does a report saying i dont have a fliter box when he seen it with his own eyes and sending a technician out to do a speed test thats a laugh on it own if i wanted a speed test done i could of done it myself i wanted it fixed not a bloody speed test 

I AM SICK OF RINGING UP CONSTANTLY AND GETTING NO WHERE ALWAYS TALKING TO PEOPLE OVERSEAS THAT ARE NOT VERY CLEAR AT TALKING ENGLISH AND REPEATLY SAY  NO WORRIES ITS NOT NO WORRIES IM PAYING FOR A SERVICE I'M NOT GETTING AND NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE FROM TELSTRA I HAVE SPOKE TO DON'T WANNA HELP THE WAY I SEE IT YOU HAVE BROKE YOUR ADGREEMENT NO INTERNET AND NO 3 MONTHS FREE NETFLIX.PRESTO.STAN SO TELSTRA HAS LEFT ME NO CHOICE BUT TO RING THE TELECOM OMBUDSMAN 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: HAD A ENOUGH OF MY INTERNET CONSTANTLY DROPPING OUT

I have EXACTLY the same problem with Telstra.  Been going on since August last year - thats 17 months and counting...

I got the same advice from Telstra, in fact, they blamed my equipment every step of the way.  Over the last year I have replaced EVERY piece of equipment- ne modem, new filter, new cables, I even hired a technician to re-wire my house because Telstra said it must be a problem internally as they claimed there was no fault on their end - all at my expense.  Eventually they advised me to go on a contract with a Telstra modem, but NOTHING THEY HAVE TOLD ME TO DO HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM.

Finally, just a few days ago they finally did something, they moved me over to ADSL 2+ and since then in the last 4 days the internet has only dropped out 3 times.  Still not what I would consider reliable, but none-the-less a significant improvement over the past year and a half.

My advice;

1. Lodge a formal complaint with Telstra.  You will get an SR-1 number.  Not that I expect that will do you much good (because it did nothing for me) but once you have lodged your complaint formally, you can then dispute the bill as you are not getting what you are paying for.  Inform them that you are seeking re-payment for whatever percentage of the bill you feel is reasonable over the last 12 months and (for me I decided on 50%) also that you will be suspending payments (either full or the same percentage) going forward until the matter is resolved.
  2. Go to http://tio.com.au and lodge a complaint.
  3. Check out https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees  Yes these laws apply to phone and internet.  Slow speed and dropouts that make the internet difficult to use mean the service is not fit-for-purpose.  the ACCC define fit for purpose as: "fit for any purpose that the consumer made known to the business before buying (either expressly or by implication), or the purpose for which the business said it would be fit for"  If you have a T-box, but can't watch a movie uninterupted, the service is not fit for purpose.
  4. Write to the CEO Mr Andrew Penn and explain the poor sevice you have been receiving: https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form?red=/abouttelstra/contact-us/...
  5. Document EVERYTHING.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: HAD A ENOUGH OF MY INTERNET CONSTANTLY DROPPING OUT

@Davenvez Hopefully your problem isnt quite as bad as @cul8r_,

it wouldnt surprise me if you had been given a faulty modem (it does happen but not intentionally).

are you on ADSL or NBN?

If you still have adsl then maybe something like netgear ac1600 will be usefull.

the reason I say this is because we have had trouble with the Telstra gateways both went caput 1 after 1 of  the massive proposed network crashes and 1 after a power outage. there is also a chance with this heat (or at least where i am living) it is playing up, I have seen another poster suggest running a fan blowing onto the gateway modem to keep it cooler.

since buying the netgear ac1600 (we are still on adsl) we have had less connection issues, BUT the range/strength of the wifi is much lower than that of the gateway modem. (this being said as i type from an aldi computer that sits 20- 25 meters from the modem/router which is in a granny flat out the back and im at the front of my house in the loungeroom ).

you can also try asking them to put on a stability switch for the line.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit