Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

HFC Constant dropouts/speed drops - BFDv4 / BFDv6 Supervision fails once errors

Answered

Hi all. I've seen a few people have had this before but I thought I'd put my own issue forward. Since the upgrade from Telstra cable HFC to NBN HFC (which was a straight NBN box plug in, activation and a new LH1000 modem) I am continually getting my speed crashing from ~45MBPS to <1MBPS. The WAN link does not seemingly go down to the point it can be detected, but the internet slows to an utter crawl.

Speed testing off Telstra's own mirrors at this point confirms the 0.5/0.3 MBPS speed. And as it doesn't disconnect (or does so VERY rarely) it doesn't switch to 4G. For a while I just switched it to 4G but I'm pretty sure soon enough Telstra started shaping that connection because after a week of that it also dramatically pulled back its speed.

The modem shows constant errors of:

"eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail count = 1"
Or

"eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail count = 1"

COVID means that I am unable to call Telstra but have to use the MyTelstra app which has been utterly useless. I keep getting very long periods between messages, which means people change shifts and try to start L1 checks over and over and over and simply ignore anything I say that deviates from their script. I did ONCE manage to get an NBN tech out who replaced the NBN box and checked the Telstra box outside the house, to no joy. The issue came back after an hour and stayed. Originally we had Foxtel (which was unimpaired by the switch from Cable to NBN) with two outlets (so a splitter in the Telstra box) and a second splitter on one of the two outlets for the modem and Foxtel box.

We tried the modem on both outlets (in isolation) which made no difference. Since then we have suspended Foxtel and I have had an electrician come out and decommission one of the two outlets entirely and remove the splitter from the Telstra box, so now the NBN box is the ONLY thing plugged into the Telstra box, as well as completly removing and redoing the cable from the box to a new outlet in the house. I had hopes this would fix the issue, presuming internal wiring, but after a promising two hours (which is in the margin of error for this as I've had stretches that good before), it started all over again.

I also of course tried a different router; took the Telstra modem out of the equation entirely and just used an older standby router I had handy into the NBN box. The router worked perfectly fine insomuch as it DHCP'd and the internet came up, but it was exactly the same performance as the Telstra modem when monitored for 24 hours.

So thus far we have;

* Tried the modem in isolation on each wall socket.
* Removed the second wall socket and splitter in the Telstra box, then run an entirely new cable to the box directly to a new wall socket.
* Rebooted the modem and NBN box countless times (I think I have been asked about 20 times by Telstra staff to 'tell me what lights are on' to the point I feel seriously like I'm in groundhog day).
* Tried an entirely different modem.
* Prayed to the Machine God and offered incense to the NBN boxes machine spirit.
* Replaced all the internal cabeling between the wall socket and devices of course.

I was supposed to get an NBN tech out again once I had confirmed the first visit didn't fix the problem, but I was unable to be on site due to sudden work commitments (I told Telstra the day before and their appointment team I did get on the phone assured me they had canceled it and would reschedule, they didn't, the tech turned up and I had to apologize over the phone, but he was a good sport about it) and since then they went from 'reschedule' to 'more troubleshooting required' for reasons I've been unable to get answered as they keep looking for dropouts like hunting snipe.

So TLDR version, I'm about at the point where my remaining option is to terminate my Telstra service entirely, go to another ISP and ask for an NBN install and ensure an NBN-Co tech turns up who I can grab and have check the connection from the pit to my house.

I until the NBN switch have had a pretty flawless experience with Telstra and I do understand COVID has had huge impacts to their call centres. But I'm about at my wits end.

If anyone else on this fine forum has ANY advice I would GREATLY appreciate it!

EDIT

I will add that as I typed this Telstra say they have unshaped the 4G connection, so that is at least something Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: HFC Constant dropouts/speed drops - BFDv4 / BFDv6 Supervision fails once errors

It sounds like it is a problem on the network. You have basically eliminate everything on your side of the connection. NBN Co need to check the equipment out in the street.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: HFC Constant dropouts/speed drops - BFDv4 / BFDv6 Supervision fails once errors

Hi, Thanks for your reply. It could possibly be DNS, but I'm not 100% sure.

Do you know how to check DNS on router?

Is it router specific or on each device?

I saw you are talking about DHCP, my router is currently on aggressive mode for DHCP frequency query

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

It sounds like it is a problem on the network. You have basically eliminate everything on your side of the connection. NBN Co need to check the equipment out in the street.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I checked DNS but it doesn't seem to be an issue, tried some different servers to be sure anyway. But I'm literally seeing it in the middle of a speed test dropping from 45MBPS to 0.3.

Its a weird thing though with it not randomly going up and down all over the place but extended periods of very very slow speed ... then normal periods. Where as I would expect a physical cable issue to be more random in it loosing packets or something.

Still, I appreciate the suggestions.

Trying to work this through with Telstra, its still very much going in small circles in the L1 troubleshooting pool and I can't find a way out to just get this escalated to NBN Co. I think the next time I see someone texting asking me to tell them what lights are on on their modem I'm going to scream!

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

To find out were the problem is install ping plotter on a pc and do a test to a web site and at the same time one to the lan ip address of the modem and one to the Telstra central gateway. From this you will be able to tell wether the problem is in tne local network, the NBN link or the Telstra Network.

Highlighted

OMG!!  You have just explained the same problem we are having.  I have spent the last 5 days going back and forth on the message app which is a complete waste of time.  I have managed to speak with someone once, but they did the same tests, (reset modem, check the lights etc, etc) but still having issues.  They even agreed that we are dropping out randomly and sent it to the escalation team.  We have received a message today from a team member who spoke so quickly and with an accent, that I could barely understand the message, to be told they have found no issue on their end and unless we contact the number given in 24 hours they will close the ticket.  Guess what?  No one is answering the damn phone to let them know we are still getting no service!  Our smart gen 2 modem is just over a week old!!

I am with you.  Telstra is gone and I'm going elsewhere.  I too, understand that this is unprecedented times which is all the more reason they need have more people on phones to help. Maybe they could give some people here is Australia jobs at this time instead of relying on overseas call centres.  Very Very Very disappointed in Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Sounds like you have thoroughly tested the LAN side of your internet connection. However when the NBN technician installed your internal NBN box did he also pull through new coax cable from the outside NBN box to the inside wall plate for the internal NBN box to connect to. Or did he use the preexisting Foxtel cabling?

Might pay to have NBN test the coax running from external NBN box to inside wall plate. Goodluck

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

The NBN Tech did just run it straight into the same wall outlet the original Telstra HFC modem used (without incident for 3 years I'll add!).

On the possibility however that the cable from the box was the problem (we did have two outlets and I tested both and we replaced the splitter in the Telstra box mind you) I did have an electrician come in (honestly because I was waaaaay too lazy to go and purchase the cables and outlets and go crawling under my house Smiley Tongue) and we decommissioned the second outlet entirely, removed the splitter from the Telstra box so its a straight connection from the pit to the box to a single outlet inside the house, into which the NBN box is plugged into.

I had seen suggestions on Whirlpool and other forums with similar issues that the Coax might not have been up to the NBN grade signal, so I made sure the cable was correct and we tried that last week. Still no dice unfortunately Smiley Sad

I was going to try and do some traceroutes both when the internet is normal and when its borking out to see at what hops it might be stalling out at, but ping plotter like a neat little tool to try. Thanks cf4.

I think I'll also try testmy.net to run a continuous speed test on a laptop I have around to poll every 10 minutes or so for a day and see if I can get some hard data (not that I feel Telstra will accept it mind you, just had ANOTHER day of exactly the same 'trying to explain why their dropout tool won't actually show anything because the WAN link isn't technically dropping...' conversations).

I still think its frankly embarrassing to Telstra that community forums like this provide infinitely better advise and support for diagnosing the problem than Telstra. But somehow I'm not surprised they outsource it to said community rather than doing it themselves.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

having the same problem with dropouts, Spoke to tech yesterday, did a factory reset on everything and still having problem . Cant talk to anyone as they keep telling me to use the app, and that doesn't work. This process is completely useless.

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Difficult to diagnose something via chat without you providing details on the dropouts.

Suggest you attach a computer or laptop via ethernet cable from the Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 and advise whether you experience any dropouts from ethernet connected device. This will eliminate any wifi network issues and we can narrow it down from there.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

@TheRogueOne - Thanks for describing my exact issue in your original post. Waiting here today all day for NBN tech after doing the call, chat message, merry go round for a week. I believe the issue is either network or actual cable issues. I noticed for a while my speed (100MBps plan) was regularly diminished (35MBps avg) but then after the recent weekend of really heavy rain and rain the next few days, I noticed it dropped to 0.6Mbps, then it would bounce back to 85, then 0.6 again etc. Towards the end of this week speed it more consistent again and bouncing between 90MBPs and 35MBps download. I'm going to get the NBN tech if he ever turns up to run new cable from street to house junction box. That was the only section not changed when NBN switchover occurred. Heres hoping can find a perm solution.

Highlighted

I am having the same issues. Due to it being a WAN problem it puts it firmly in NBNco's court. I had the issue going for SIX weeks at one point and even had the tech out with a new Arris HFC modem. I have had it show up at least three more times, including right this point in time and have it presently reported and being looked into.

When the WAN drops out like that you also get given a new IP from Telstra, which wouldnt happen unless either:

A) You reset your NBN Box and do a full disconnect, same as turning it off and on.; or

B) Log into your Telstra modem that links to the NBN box and do a reboot of the system, even then you are often or not going to get the same IPv4 you were just on; or

C) Your NBN drops out due to a disconnect somewhere, forcing the system to reconnect you.

Now, if your like me, A and B aint going to happen unless you are following Telstra's scripted replies and if you have had the issue in the past, you can just tell them you have had the issue before and look at previous tech notes. Not to mention, unless you have been moving equipment and such around, the issue is not going to be between chair and keyboard, NOR, is the problem going to be between wall plug and the NBN box unless there has been something to cause that problem so Telstra needs to stop using the scripts and throwing the onus back on the end user, because 99% of the time the end user, like me, hasnt been doing anything other than sitting watching our streaming service, social media bingeing, or playing online games.

The hassle of it all is, the HFC network are the OLD Galaxy cable lines that were put back in the mid to late 90s. and in my view should have all been replaced, not just patched up to run cable internet since they were really only designed for TV. Even if you had the cable coming in, you never had the option to go onto cable internet and got pushed onto ADSL.

So the issue is that a lot of the old equipment up on the poles, or attached to apartment/unit block walls, is coming to its endlife and really should be getting replaced, I know the cable within my street has never been replaced and is still the same as was placed up back in the 90s. NBNco went the cheap way out with areas that have HFC in them and the government should NEVER diverted from the very original plan of Fibre to the Premises or FTTP.

Also going to point out that this is NOT a Telstra issue. The issue lies squarely with NBNCo and their equipment. Yes Telstra have had their faults in the past, however they dont own the NBN equipment, they are just a retailer for the product. It's like blaming a petrol station for the quality of fuel they get delivered from the petrol company that supply them.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have the same issues. I have had NBN replace the NBN box twice but there are unable to escalate the issue with NBN with the remote tests passing. The NBN tech recorded a less than 2 Mbps download speed on a 100 plan. I have the same errors. How do I get this dealt with and resolved?

27.08.2020 16:00:52 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 16:00:45 Local user 192.168.0.2 has successfully logged into GUI.
27.08.2020 15:58:37 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:56:36 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:53:46 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:52:46 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:49:32 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:49:13 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:46:11 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:44:30 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:42:29 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 3
27.08.2020 15:41:59 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 2
27.08.2020 15:41:28 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:37:09 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:36:09 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:35:55 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:35:08 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
27.08.2020 15:34:08 WAN: eth0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1

Highlighted

The issue is is that its something on the NBN side, and while them doing stuff to the NBN box on the property might fix it, it can be anywhere else. My issue that I was having has since been fixed, and funny enough it was fixed on the day that it was said by NBN with them having planned service for my area, so likely they already were earmarked to fix something they knew was getting to tend of its life.

Issue you are having there Fred is even more annoying because it's not fully dropping the connection and doing a re-connect, which means it isnt even registering as a disconnect on Telstra's end because it isnt issuing a new IPv4 because its not getting to the point of triggering a renewal, as seen below with my own. NBN themselves really need to get their own act together and sort this out when it comes to HFC because it does come down to the maintenance level on the cabling in the street.

19.08.2020 09:50:28 WAN: Notify System Services WAN v4 Stopped (eth0)
19.08.2020 09:50:28 DHCPv4 - start client on eth0
19.08.2020 09:50:26 DHCPv4 Script: RELEASE(eth0)
19.08.2020 09:50:22 DHCPv4 - trigger renew on eth0
19.08.2020 09:50:13 WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 4

As to 2Mpbs on a 100 plan, I would be seriously finding out where you are in relation to all things on the network. If you are near the end of the line, then that could very well be the problem and they need to see about boosting the signal more, which is likely what the BFD Supervision fails relate to.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks,

I am the last connection at the end of the line in the pit out in the street.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit