Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

High ping in Darwin to Adelaide

Just posting this ongoing issue with almost double the ping between Darwin and Adelaide.

Ping jumps up for a week or two, then goes back to normal for week or two.

And goes on for years.

This problem has not been resolved for 5 years, since NBN was introduced.

Calling tech support is useless since they say it's NBN fault and high ping is not their concern.

I know it's not hardware fault or anything, i have moved 3 times past 5 years with the same problem following me.

I have asked friends who use different carriers and they have no problems at all.

So how can it be NBNs fault?

I'm just getting sick of this problem. I have been a Telstra loyal customer for  over 5 years, but if i don't see a fix or get a proper reply from a network engineer, i will choose someone else.

Here is some pasted info from my routers trace route etc.

Finished
Protocol Version

Hostname:

Max Hop Count:

Size (bytes):

Hostname Error code RTT1 (ms) RTT2 (ms) RTT3 (ms)
gateway.sb04.adelaide.asp.telstra.net074.77774.969114.33
bundle-ether9.fli-core1.adelaide.telstra.net075.74077.71776.724
bundle-ether16.win-core10.melbourne.telstra.net086.56886.47886.176
bundle-ether12.ken-core10.sydney.telstra.net097.69496.49797.952
bundle-ether1.ken-edge903.sydney.telstra.net094.53894.93494.742
dns.google094.36797.71996.976

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: High ping in Darwin to Adelaide

Is that the full trace route? 

There's no guaranteed latency on consumer services, more information can be found here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/International-routing-latency-and-ping/ta-p/309...

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Level 2: Rookie

Well the problem is only with Telstra, i suppose i just have to switch then.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

So what you're actually saying is, Yes there's an issue with our network, no we will not fix it.

Highlighted

I had the same issue. I am in Alice Springs. I narrowed it down to that node there "

gateway.sb04.adelaide.asp.telstra.net"

I raised a complaint and told them the exact problem. They wouldnt listen. They sent out NBN and NBN couldnt figure it out. I gave them the opportunity. 

Tonight i literally swapped to another provider and was astonished that it literally switched off and started working with them within 10 minutes. And ping was immediately fixed.

Unfortunately Telstra kept saying stuff like "Theres no national standard for ping" "Download speed is your ping". Clueless.

I was with Telstra for 10 years and they just refused to help. Swapping was amazingly easy and now it works perfectly.

Highlighted

I'm having the same issue. I have been with Telstra for about 30 years! Who did you swap to?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit