gudism
Level 1: Cadet

Home connected to NBN?

Hi there

I have purchased a property but have not moved in as yet.  The NBN rollout maps confirm that the NBN is available at this address (FTTC).

My question is, how can I be sure that the NBN is connected from the road to the house, before starting the process of getting Telstra to transfer my internet (settlement isnt until early December), when techs will go kerbside and check?

I only ask as when moving to a family members house one time, they had not bothered to get the house connected as they had no need for internet when the home was built.  When I attempted to connect, the rollout maps said all was ok, but tech said there was no cabling.  It took quite a while to get things connected, and with 5 kids, no internet made for a terrible household....

And the house I have bought, was previously owned and lived in by the same elderly couple for 65 years, and if they are like my parents, they may not have bothered to connect to the NBN.

Just trying to avoid a repeat of last time, so are there any suggestions?  I couldn't see the usual grey box that is on the side of houses usually.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Home connected to NBN?

To check if cabling to house is already installed enter your address at site below.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi/

Take note of the service class. If your only service class 31 then cabling is required. See description of classes below,

Service Class 30 This area will be serviceable by FTTC.
Service Class 31 The premises is serviceable by FTTC, but does not have a lead-in yet.

Service Class 32 FTTC service that has a lead-in, but is not yet connected.
Service Class 33 Premises connected to FTTC is now connected, but an NCD (nbn™ device) is still required.
Service Class 34 The premises is now fully connected to the FTTC network. Appointments do not need to be made for activation. Activation can take 1-5 business days.

gudism

Thank you so much! I never realised this webpage existed.

ok, so what does this mean exactly:

Premises service class32
Premises service class descriptionServiceable by FTTC, cut-in required (NCD required)

what does cut-in required mean?

thanks again

cf4

I am not an expert but I interpret that as there lead in cable from your premises to the pit but it has not been connected to the DPU in the street. Also a NCD is required which is the NBN FTTC modem located in your premises that connects to the phone socket in your premises.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi/ is another internet service provider. I would have preferred to give you a link to a Telstra or NBN Co site but non of those sites display the class off service.

gudism

cheers, thanks for that. Might have to decide on moving date and get the ball rolling

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit