Porthos1
Level 1: Cadet

Home has a cable, but NBN checker doesn't show HFC?

So I have a strange problem that the "system" can't seem to solve, let alone progress.

I have had cable internet and Foxtel, both from Telstra, for around the last 20 years. NBN has come along and the cable internet has been disconnected. I'd like to continue getting cable internet from NBN, ie HFC, as it's been great.

The problem is that when I enter my address in the NBN checker, all it offers is FTTC. I asked Telstra and after several weeks of absolutely zero action, they eventually told me I had to contact NBN about it. I suspect they just don't know what to do.

Has anyone ever successfully contacted NBN? All I have is a phone number, and most of the phone options simply lead to "see our website", and if I choose something totally unrelated I get put on hold and nobody has ever answered!

How do I get this fixed? Surely it's not that hard!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Porthos1

Re: Home has a cable, but NBN checker doesn't show HFC?

FYI, I'm aware that NBN paused HFC rollout early this year due to issues obtaining parts as a result of the pandemic, but they recommenced in late July.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

A lot a areas that previously had Telstra or Optus cable internet have  been converted to FTTC. It is unlikely the NBN now that all the infrastructure for FTTC has been installed will install the infrastructure for NBN  HFC. Your only option is to use the NBN Technology choice program.

Technology Choice Program | nbn (nbnco.com.au)

Porthos1

Thanks for the (quick) reply.

That's more info that I received from anyone at Telstra in the 3 months they had my ticket open! Seriously, how can people who work at Telstra support have no idea on things like this.

I checked out the link, and I'm going to decline the offer of getting FTTP for over $3k. Wow.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit