jaliyan
Level 2: Rookie

Home Internet

Hi,

On 26th July there was an outage for NBN connection in Burwood East 3151. Apparently, 4G network should kick in whenever there is an outage with normal services. On this instance, 4G was not working and we had no internet for more than 12 hours at our home. Telstra confirmed the outage but during my chat with a rep, no explanation on why 4G network didn't work.

I am paying much more than other providers for reliable technology and not happy at all. Can someone explain why 4G network didn't take over on Telstra NBN modem during outage?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Home Internet

If there was a signal on your NBN connection, then the LTE backup would not kick in.  There needs to be a complete absence of a signal for it to work. Sometimes there can be a signal, but no usable internet and you need to unplug the incoming connection for the LTE backup to start working. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jaliyan
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you, Jupiter. I thought when Telstra confirmed the outage, 4G should work but I guess that's not the case. No signals were shown when I checked on mobile and laptop.

cf4

Have you tried disconnecting the DSL or WAN port on the modem. If Mobile Signal light is not off the modem should switch to 4G backup. Remember to reconnect DSL or LAN port after outage so that modem switches back to normal mode.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit