cammo65
Level 3: Gumshoe

Home IP not visible from Internet. Resolves to Kent street

Evening people, evidently I have previously posted in the wrong catagory so I shall post here as its to do with my home ADSL.

I hope someone may be able to shed some light, it's driving me up the ether.

Following are contemporaneous notes on my progress so far ( or not):

12:04/2012
Cannot connect to external ip address. Have spent last hour on phone to Kitkat and Liam Kitkat xferred me to a number that no loger exists and Liam could not fix issue. 
He escalated me to Telstra Premium support and they could not rectify issue either  was referred to Complaints by them  Cannot ping ip address and when a tracert is performed it says the host is cpe-58-167-85-225.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au
New case no. 
SR1-91426117634

16/04/2012
Gabrielle on phone at 1255hrs. She fully understands what I need. She is checking to see if case manager available. Came back to phone and advised put thru to reception who will put me thru to Monica (case manager), Monica not in today. Was xferred to Luke, who needed education on the fault. He said he will email Monica what I have explained to him and she will need to raise a fault which could take up to 24 hrs to be received. I sled can you not submit the fault now and Luke advised she is the person assigned to this task and he could not just take it. 

1415hrs
Called Activations and spoke to Dennis. Dennis saw that there was a call in queue already and put me back through to complaints. At complaints I was answered by Michelle who I made aware the nature of my call. She said she will put me through to Monica and I said I was told she was not in today. Michelle said I don't know who would have told you that I advised it was Luke. Well I was xferred to Monica who advised she was running late and her pc was not working properly and she would have to organize herself another desk. Monica asked for a rundown of the issue and said she would ring the techs before she calls me back today. 

17/02/2012
Monica called and advised has confirmed it is a residential account. Advised that a request has been raised to have it looked at and should have a resolution "by the end of the week". Supplied her with my mobile number again as she called on the house phone. 

Found on Whirlpool
They need to add code "GPTEXB3" to gain access to "telstra.extranet" APN.
cpe-58-165-204-212.nsw.bigpond.net.au

18/04/2012 1435hrs or so
Called Telstra Complaints, Jason answered and asked for my reference number. I provided my reference number and was asked if this was a new issue or if it was the same one. I advised same one and advised problem has not been resolved. He asked me if I would mind waiting whilst he tried to get hold of my case manager Monica. He came back quite quickly and advised he had tried several times to get hold of Monica but she is currently on another call. Jason advised he will email Monica notifying her of my call and she has till 1700hrs tomorrow to get back to me. I asked what's wrong with this afternoon and Jason advised as its after 1300hrs she has till 1700 the next day and if I had called back before 1300hrs she would have to call back today. 

Shortly after 1503hrs Monica called to advised she does not understand fully the nature of the issue. She supplied me with the numbers for Telstra BOH, Telstra ADSL support and was going to provide me with the number for activations, I told her I had the number for Activations so she suggested I ring them. Firstly I called BOH and was politely advised I should not be ringing them but the gentleman was interested in what the issue was but kindly told me he did not understand the nature of the problem. I then called Activations and was answered by a nice fella in QLD but he also advised he could not help either, he did not really understand either and suggested I call the ADSL business Helpdesk as they are a bit more thorough. Called on number provided and asked to speak to level2 support but was blocked as after being on the phone to the outsourced Helpdesk for over 30 mins and being told I need to purchase a static IP which I argued I have never had one and never needed one. I said I refuse to pay for L2 support as I have not caused the issue as the IPs I am picking up resolve to Ken st and I have never had this issue on the past. I agreed to disagree as the phone call was going in circles and ended the call with still no resolution. 

18/04/2012 2120hrs or so via twitter 
@Telstra hi, my external ip add resolves to kent st in Sydney when tracert'd. I cannot access home network from Internet. Help pls.

@Crstacey That's a little over my head sorry. I'd give tech a call on 133 933 for help on that one -Matt

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
37 REPLIES 37
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Home IP not visible from Internet. Resolves to Kent street

the code for Extranet is only for 3G services and only then to select corporate accounts, is it a 3G based service or an ADSL service?

what are you actually trying to achieve, something other than running a ping to your address I take it

what hardware do you have and how is it configured, external requests such as this can be turned off on some devices which can drop ping requests etc
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
cammo65

Hi there, thanks for the quick response,
My home service is the home bundle ADSL2+ with the 200GB Plan.
I used to run various services I.e. VPN on port 1723, Twonky on port 9000, VNC and SSH and whatever else I wanted experiment with.
I was on a broadband service using a Draytek 2130N router in conjunction with a Siera 312U with a 14dB beam pouted at the tower line of site 3.8 Ks or so.
I just wonder why I seem to pickup ip addresses they resolve to Kent street as when I had my previous ADSL service I did not have this issue. Could it be there are for want of a better word "residual" codes on the account from the broadband service...?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Cameron
jokiin

no code from another service would have anything to do with your current account, are you still using the Draytek?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cammo65

No, I have decided to use the Telstra supplied technicolor modem in standard form till this issue is resolved. I might then run it as just an Ethernet modem in bridged mode to the Draytek or use the netgear Ethernet modem I have again into the Draytek. But for now, just the standard technicolor.

Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

where you getting the same issue with the Draytek and the Technicolor?
cammo65

Yes, with the technicolor as it is now as a standalone unit, with the technicolor bridged to the Draytek and with the netgear bridged to the Draytek and also with a TG487t which was the Telstra supplied device from my previous service.
Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

I think you've tried enough hardware to rule that out, perhaps something screwed in the account settings, I haven't used a Bigpond ADSL service for some time but not aware of any changes they've made that would cause this

if you've got a device there that supports it have you tried setting up a DynDNS or similar account, can you access your device then?
cammo65

I use zone edit to point my domain to my IP and when I run a tracert on my domain name it resolves to the IP at CPE-ipaddress-lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au for example.
Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

if you type your IP address into the address bar does it resolve or not?
cammo65

No
cammo65

Neither via IP address or via domain name.
Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

you are doing this from an external connection I take it, yes?

can you message me your IP address so I can try it from my location, external to the Telstra network, might help to identify if it's a routing issue or not depending on the result
cammo65

Here you are,

cammo65

Oh and yes from an external IP.
Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

same, I'll take a guess from the trace that there is a problem at a router external to you, I got past the core routers in Kent street but if fell over a few hops after that, not too many people running home servers so it probably hasn't popped up as a wider issue

just a guess but I've seen similar before and it looks somewhat the same
cammo65

Hey, well thanks for your time and help. Appreciate it. I really think they should perhaps delete the existing account and create a brand new one. It might be easier. Who knows.
Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

actually I don't think that would help, I don't know for sure of course but I suspect the problem is a router related to your physical location that has the issue, another account would still be on the same infrastructure if that is the case

could of course by something screwed in the account but not sure how likely that is

keep at it until you get it resolved I guess, if you ever do get to find out what the problem is/was can you post back with the answer, it may help others down the track
cammo65

No it does not.
cammo65

Shall do, I shall keep updating here as I get to speak to more and more Telstra staff. Thanks again. Gotta hit it now anyways.
Thank you,
Cameron
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Stupid question, do you have a Static IP address (and are you paying for this?)

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

cammo65

Hi there,
No I don't have a static IP, it's Dynamic.
Thank you,
Cameron
Ben_F

@cammo65 wrote:
Hi there,
No I don't have a static IP, it's Dynamic.
Thank you,
Cameron

The response I get from the iiNet Looking Glass is:

Tracing the route to CPE-58-166-84-105.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au (58.166.84.105) 1 gi0-18.syd-ult-svc1.iinet.net.au (203.215.16.47) [AS 4802] 12 msec 4 msec 0 msec 2 gi2-7.syd-ult-bdr2.iinet.net.au (203.215.16.7) [AS 4802] 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec 3 te1-2.syd-ult-bdr1.iinet.net.au (203.215.20.146) [AS 4802] [MPLS: Label 277 Exp 0] 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec 4 xe-1-1-0-0.syd-ult-core1.iinet.net.au (203.215.20.30) [AS 4802] 24 msec 0 msec 0 msec 5 Bundle-Ether12.chw48.Sydney.telstra.net (139.130.0.137) [AS 1221] 4 msec 4 msec 4 msec 6 telstr684.lnk.telstra.net (203.45.17.14) [AS 1221] 8 msec 8 msec 12 msec 7 * * * 8 * * * 9 * * * 10 * * * 11 * * * 12 * * * 

And the Response I get from Telstra is:

1 TenGigabitEthernet0-12-0-2.exi-core1.Melbourne.telstra.net (203.50.80.1) 4 msec 12 msec 12 msec
  2 Bundle-Ether12.chw-core2.Sydney.telstra.net (203.50.11.74) 16 msec 20 msec 24 msec
  3 Bundle-Ether1.chw48.Sydney.telstra.net (203.50.6.154) 24 msec 16 msec 24 msec
  4 telstr684.lnk.telstra.net (203.45.17.14) 20 msec 20 msec 16 msec
  5  *  *  * 
  6  *  *  * 

New Users - Click Here!

cammo65

That's the problem, it's not resolving to my domain name. It stops at Telstra.
Thank you,
Cameron
jojo_scorpion16
Level 2: Rookie

When using VPN and Proxy services, chances are it would be running thru a different server (not Telstra), thats why you may have multiple IP addresses..

cammo65

Hi there,
I don't use any proxy services, nor does my wife's phone or our laptops. Relatives also cannot access from Sydney, Melbourne or anywhere got that matter.
Thank you,
Cameron
KrayzeeKev
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@cammo65 wrote:
That's the problem, it's not resolving to my domain name. It stops at Telstra.
Thank you,
Cameron

Well, it's got nothing to do with "resolving". That's a DNS thing and if the name you updated gives you back the correct IP then it's resolving properly. But that's me being picky about terminology.

Do NOT expect traceroute/tracert to work. Many routers/switches and other devices don't forward ICMP packets and so traceroute won't work. That doesn't mean normal TCP packets aren't getting through, though.

I tried to traceroute to your IP from a U.S. machine and I didn't even make it as far as Kent St. 

I just did a test on my home Cable connection (yeah, not 100% the same but I was curious).

So I tried a traceroute to my home IP address and got a very similar failure to you. Which is what I expected. The route to a cable destination will diverge from ADSL at some point, even before the Kent Exchange. Also, I can NOT ping my IP address either.

BUT I can telnet into a listening port on my machine no problem. I ran something listening on my PC, the router automatically pulled up a portmap through UPNP and I was able to connect from the US machine to my machine no problem.

So, here's the question - what service on your machine are you trying to connect to? Are you sure it's listening correctly, mapped/NATted/straight through correctly? 

NEVER use ping or tracert/traceroute to determine whether a host is up or not unless you know that it was previously responding in that fashion and has since stopped AND you know there have been no network changes in between. Which pretty much limits the situations to homes or businesses where you are the sysadmin!

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
cammo65

Hi there, thanks for your response,
I have ports for VPN 1723, Twonky 9000, http 80, https 8080 and as mentioned previously anything else I want to experiment with.
The Draytek is a NATd router and port forward rules are in place when/where required. As previously mentioned I have insitu at the moment the standard technicolor modem with the standard firewall setting. Port forwards on that only for VPN and Twonky at the minute till issue resolved. It's as simple and safe as minimally possible.
Thank you,
Cameron
jokiin

so none of the protocols you have setup are currently working is that correct
cammo65

Exactly.
Thank you,
Cameron
Ben_F

stupid question, has your IP address changed at all?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

cammo65

Ah yes it has Ben,

It is currently 124.176.83.172.

Thank you,
Cameron
Ben_F

I have a *feeling* that the issue is somewhere with the router your using. Its not responding to ping requests whereas all the Bigpond services I manage do respond to ping requests.

I've also tried to telnet on ports 1723 and 9000 and they don't work.

New Users - Click Here!

cammo65

Ben, port 1723 is for VPN, not telnet and port 9000 is for Twinky media server which is an app supplied with a WD NAS box. I have used both previously with no issues.

Thank you,
Cameron
Ben_F

@cammo65 wrote:
Ben, port 1723 is for VPN, not telnet and port 9000 is for Twinky media server which is an app supplied with a WD NAS box. I have used both previously with no issues.

Thank you,
Cameron

however like SMTP, I should be able to telnet onto a listening port no?

I also ran a port scan on your network which confirmed that those ports aren't open 😞

Perhaps a static IP would be your next step?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

cammo65

Hi Ben,
Thank you for that, I do appreciate your time trying to help out here. Maybe a fixed IP then. But still, it's not right...! Lol
Thank you,
Cameron
cammo65

A moment of clarity in the storm of misinformation and unknowing...! After much research and toying and going with a good friend we came to the conclusion the inbound ports are for the most part blocked. We determined the issue is fixable it just a case of speaking to "the Right Person"

I NEED TO SPEAK TO SOCK...!

Thank you,
Cameron
cammo65

Correction,

Due to spell checker in iPhone "Toing and froing" turned into "Toying and Going"

Thank you,
Cameron

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit