Level 1: Cadet

Home Phone Scam- Caller 02 82600000

hi peeps.  we have had an indian guy calling re our new nbn install, saying they need to do a cut-out from the old to the new nbn service  ie, enable the new gateway.  the techs installed the box last week in our house, new modem fitted and working.  wifi devices work too.  sounds like poo to me, any ideas?  we haven't given any details.  the number they called on is above.  tia, stu.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 20: Director

Re: Home Phone Scam- Caller 02 82600000

Years ago it was easy to pick a scammer however now days thanks to Telstra outsourcing their support it’s not so easy. It’s a hard one to know when a call is legitimate however a quick check of that number suggest it may be the Telstra National Broadband Network team managers following up on orders. If you are waiting on a service and it has been clearly identified that this is why they are calling then there is a good chance it is legitimate. I would recommend however that you call Telstra yourself and then asked to be put through to the appropriate department.

Level 1: Cadet

First thing I did. The lady said she'd "never heard that one before". So here we are. Worst thing is, I don't really know $hit from shoe polish about it.
Level 6: Bloodhound

Regarding scam call from 0282600000 ,it is genuine. It was from your case manager enquiring about your NBN order.I received a call from my case manager today from that number. I know it was genuine because he knew my order no. and appointment dates with the NBN and telstra.

Level 6: Bloodhound

I received an email from Telstra this morning reminding me about my upcoming appts. with theNBN and telstra tech. Here is the amusing bit, the NBN one was on the 26th june. Maybe it got jammed in their outbox.Smiley Very Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit