FrankB24
Level 2: Rookie

Home Server on DJA0231

I have a home server for experimental web use. I could connect to that server for years without issue. Since going onto the NBN and receiving a Smartmodem 2 (Technicolor version) I can not longer connect to my server. I have registered a dynamic dns service and as my ip address changes the ddns service is aware of my address. I have input port forwarding on the port forwarding page for ports 80,443, 22 but I  can not reach my server. I have contacted Telstra Platinum 3 times where I have been promised return calls with no result (not even a call). I have set port forwarding and restarted the modem several times for those that think that is the answer. I can contact the server from the internal network. One piece of advice I was given by Telstra Platinum is that I have to go to a static ip address (ie $120 a year extra) to get the facility I once had.

Has anybody got any helpful advice on this issue.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Home Server on DJA0231

You should not require a static IP address. Was the Telstra platinum technician who gave you that advice aware that you had a dynamic DNS service?

Have you checked to see if ports 80, 443 and 22 are open at a site such as Canyouseeme.org?

Have you checked that the WAN IP address of the modem is the same as the IP address registered on your dynamic DNS site?

FrankB24

Thanks very much cf4 for you response.

1. The Telstra Platinum "techs" were advised of the ddns service but I am not too sure they understood.

2. Yes I have been onto canyouseeme.org and no the ports are not open.

3. Yes I have checked the WAN ip against the ddns site and it picks up the ip address perfectly.

I have checked the modem firewall and it is set to "Normal". If I change it to "User Defined" I can not add any rules. Just does not let me but I have set rules in the port forwarding page under Services.

Thanks again.

cf4

If the server is on a PC the firewall off the PC might be preventing the ports being open.

You can check if ports are open on the device using the Bing app on an IOS or Android device. There is also a Network port scanner Windows 10 app.

Firewall on modem should be left on normal. I find it best to use the Basic > Services > Port forwarding Setting for configuring port forwarding.

FrankB24

The firewall on the server is disabled. Even if it were enabled the settings are:-

80,443/tcp (Apache Full) ALLOW IN Anywhere
22/tcp ALLOW IN Anywhere
80,443/tcp (Apache Full (v6)) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)
22/tcp (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)

and I am able to log into the server using ssh on port 22.

Whether I enable or disable the firewall there is no change in behaviour.

FrankB24

Further, I can get to the server on ports 22, 80 and 443 through the internal network. If the server firewall was blocking access it would also block access on the internal network as well as the external network.

FrankB24

These are screenshots of my canyouseeme.org results (all ports give the same result)

and my portfoward settings

FrankB24

Telstra Platinum did get back to me and tried all sorts of things including moving from a Technicolor modem to an Arcadyan without the slightest hint of success. We have decided that there is something strange with the Ubuntu 18.04 server so I will attempt to use a Debian server and see if I  can get more joy from that.

FrankB24

All working well with Debian 9. Obviously the server software was the problem. All solved.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit