Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How do I find when coexistence will end?

Hi all,

I am on FTTN with a 1300m line, so my connection is very slow. NBN upgraded my phone line with better copper (just the last bit to the house), so now I get just over the magical/guaranteed 25/5, and they won't do anymore. However, it seems I am still in coexistence, which is likely to be impacting my performance.  How do I find when that is going to end?  I am in 3SOM-22-SCR-01 and the NBNco checker says:

"The disconnection process for the old phone and internet network in this area began on Sep 2019#"

Cheers, Simon

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How do I find when coexistence will end?

It is highly unlikely that you will get any better performance than you are now, as coexistence in your area would have already ended.

With standard copper wiring (#40 copper cable), at your distance (for reference, I am over 1250m from my node) you would expect a maximum of around 20Mbps according to the NBN when I spoke to them when trying to improve my speeds.

In my case, our estate was cable with #100 copper cable instead of the standard #40 copper cable and so we get 38/6 on our service. Speeds drop off dramatically the further you get away from the node.

If you have more than one outlet in your home, you might get a speed increase if you disconnect the extensions and just leave the main socket connected. That made a massive difference on mine (17Mbps to 38Mbps). The extra in house wiring causes interference and slows things right down.

As an FYI: Coexistence will also only cause a maximum of about 10% reduction in your speeds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I have been told that coexistence is still in effect for my area, and the bit-loading graphs from my modem appear to confirm this.

My modem reports 1299m distance which is about right.  I too have some thicker cable so sync at about 30/6. It's really the 6 that is the biggest problem.

There is a single (new) cat5e cable from the madison box to the modem, so there are no phone jacks in place at all. I've tried a couple of different modems, and as expected the broadcom chipset modems are the best (including Telstra Smart Model v2).

I enquired about a Technology Choice upgrade to FTTP, but was quoted $23k!  Crazy.  This is all the fault of MTM, and a weak and obsolete NBN program Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

You probably want notice much change in upload speed. At the end off coexistence my download speed increased by about 10 Mbps but upload speed stayed the same.

DSL Link 37 MbpsDSL link 49 Mbps

Bit Loading Graph 38 MbpsBit Loading Graph 49 Mbps (Bridge Tap removed)

Highlighted

Thanks for the data. I guess hoping for +10 download would be better than nothing. So angry at the government for this mess.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit