Danni002
Level 2: Rookie

How do i get my NBN fixed.

Maybe someone here can offer some help,

I have had issues with my NBN since 1st April, I lost internet for a week then it went into backup mode.. 2 weeks after that it turned back on but the speed was half of what it was prior to this happening. I called countless times (got hang up on dozens of times) and had countless technicians failed to show up. Now last week the modem went back into backup mode and has not come back on. I called last week and got the INC number and was told NBN was notified and are currently working on the issue, Fast forward to today and i was told NBN was not notified of the issue and we will need to troubleshoot again! 

What on earth is going on? I have had nothing but stress having to deal with this for almost 3 months now and constantly getting told either there is nothing wrong or when i question something the call mysteriously ends. Every person i chat to or speak to refuses to accept that yes the cable is plugged in correctly and no this is not a problem on my end. I am paying for a service i do not get and yet will not be fixed.. What's the next step? Because even if the issue gets "fixed" the speed will probably be half of what it was. But at the moment i am still stuck in backup mode.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: How do i get my NBN fixed.

As it is ongoing and you have some reference, your best option is probably to raise a complaint..

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

It could take a week or so to get a response from a Case Manager..  but it might still be the quickest way to get a fix..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Danni002

Thank you, 

I will do that now. 

Danni002

Update on this case,

NBN technician booked and cancelled yet again! Why is it this hard to get a problem fixed? 

They cancelled saying they were able to establish the connection remotely.. well no they did not. 

Then Telstra said they needed to put me on a stability profile before NBN can go forward. Well the stability profile made it worse, instead of backup mode it keeps dropping out completely. Now Telstra are going through the usual run tests again and trouble shoot! every time i call Telstra they go through the same things again and again without escalating the problem, Now i am stuck with a connection that drops out. If they do escalate the case then NBN just cancels the case and claim its fixed. I have been paying my bill for over 3 months when i should not have been, and they will not credit me without the issue being fixed and they will not fix it. How is this fair? 

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Those are all relevant questions to ask the assigned Case Manager (for the complaint that you lodged).

Danni002

I got in contact with someone who actually called the NBN, i have 2 active faults that they know about, One is a speed issue which NBN said would be fixed in May but now they say August and the other is now i have no connection at all, NBN are now trying to shift blame to inside wiring and faulty modem (new telstra modem only 2 months old) I have a technician booked for Monday morning to check inside wiring before NBN will accept it's on their end. no case manager as of yet and telstra has yet to call me after 3 months of problems, so i will not hold my breathe for a case manager to be assigned.

Dowser

After you lodge a complaint you should hear from a Case Manager within 2-5 business days.

- mind you, the old Chinese proverb says May you live in Interesting Times.

Danni002

Another update: 

Telstra Technician visited on Monday and found NO issues with the wiring. He called NBN while here and NBN still said the issue was inside the premises. Telstra Technician had a back and forth conversation with him saying it's not because he checked everything. So NBN come out and checked the pit later that day and the connection come back (still with absolutely terrible speeds) so NBN marked the case as closed (without even checking) And 2 hours after he left the modem went straight into backup mode again and has stayed there. Case manager called and said don't worry NBN booked for Thursday and it will be fixed.. But of course that appointment got cancelled AGAIN. (for the 20th time) Called twice today and both calls dropped out and nobody called back. This is ridiculous. modem been almost completely in backup mode for 3 months and nobody will fix the problem, instead they play the blame game. What's the next step? ombudsman?  

NBN claims they fix the issue remotely and cancel technicians and close the case (this happened about 10 times) Obviously the problem is not fixed. This is absolutely beyond frustrating!

SteveW_52

Add up the time without the internet you have been paying for, the hours of inconvenience and frustration, the stress you feel and keep a note of it so you can claim compensation as part of the process...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

You can (and should) lodge a complaint about NBN Co's handling of the problem with the Ombudsman via tio.com.au

Until NBN Co themselves are held to account for their shoddy work practices, then nothing will change.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Danni002

Another update.

NBN come out this morning and checked inside then went outside. He said there was a major problem in the pit 4 houses down. He fixed that and come back and tested the speed and said it was 51Mbps which was what we were originally getting before all this started. But he said the upload was a little lower at 11Mpbs so he went back out to investigate further. He come back and said he fixed another few problems on the line and said everything was fixed.. as soon as the light went green on the modem he left.

Now he said the speed was 51Mbps.. IT'S NOT. Whatever he did the second time broke it again. The speed is the same it was before he come at 25Mbps and upload is 6Mbps! 

I am completely at a loss. I have no idea what to do next and again left paying for a service i am not getting and have not been getting for 3 Months now. How can this happen? 

I feel complaining again is not worth the stress, It's taken about 25 phone calls and hours upon hours of my time trying to get this fixed. only for it to be fixed one minute then broken again the next. If i call Telstra again they will just do the usual troubleshooting AGAIN and then NBN will probably knock back a callout because in their mind the speed is satisfactory. 

SteveW_52

Flippin' heck! Unbelievable!!!!  He shouldn't have left without doing a full test and possibly not just a Speedtest, especially as he did so much work to get it running..

The nmodem hasn't gone back to 4G backup mode again?

I can understand you being reticent to complain again, but:

1. You are not getting what you are paying for.

2. If you let it go, then it legitimisies the foor performance and workmaship from NBN.

3. Telstra/NBN need to know that it is NOT fixed.

4. Have you heard from a Case Manager yet? Give all this information to them and make them follow it up..

Stevo 52
Danni002

Yes the modem has dropped back to the 4G backup twice since he has left (since come back again) So definitely not fixed. 

I am going to complain once again, How can i go about getting in touch with someone higher up? Because the usual Telstra people will just give me the run around yet again. Case manager called the other day and really did not say much at all.. just repeated what everyone else said " we will get it fixed" Their favourite saying. 

I am also going to go to the ombudsman because i just find this completely unacceptable. 

Jupiter

It actually sounds like your case manager is doing their job. All they can do is get NBN Co to go around to your place to investigate (and hopefully fix) the problem. There is nothing else that they can do.

You should get back in contact with them and let them know what has happened.Then lodge a complaint about NBN Co with the TIO if you want.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Danni002

OK another update.

About 1 hour ago the connection dropped out and when it come back the speed was back up to 51Mpbs.. I;m actually very confused LOL

As for now it seems to be fixed although will keep monitoring for drop outs. Not sure what's actually happened but I'm very relieved that i do not have to call them back!

Danni002

Nope it's back to crap speeds again.

Needed to change wifi password.. So of course modem restarted and now it's back to 25Mbps and 6Mpbs upload.. how the heck can that be? Is there something wrong with the modem or what? 

SteveW_52

What colour is the single indicator on the front of the modem? Green or blue? Those are suspiciously like 4G Backup speeds..

Stevo 52
Danni002

When it's green the speed is 26Mbps when it's blue it's 24Mbps.

The line is unstable because now it's gone blue again (backup mode) 

Not sure what the problem is.. speed is fine then modem restarts then it's back to crap again. But now it's dropping in and out. For all the world this sounds like a modem issue but surely not on 2 different modems?

cf4

It is more likely to be an intermittent line fault rather than a modem fault. Could you post your link diagnostics which are located at Advanced > Diagnostics and if you have the Technicolor modem post the line status which is lo ated at Advanced > > Broadband.

Danni002

Is this it? 

Downstream FEC1994721918199401990
Upstream FEC000000
Downstream CRC000000
Upstream CRC000000
Downstream ES550050
Upstream ES000000
Downstream SES550050
Upstream SES000000
Downstream UAS94094001569400
Upstream UAS94094001569400
Downstream LOS100100
Upstream LOS000000
Downstream LOF200200
Upstream LOF000000
Downstream LOM000000
Upstream LOM000000
Danni002

What’s happening now is it will connect with the lower speed of 24Mbps and 6Mbps upload then 10 minutes later it will completely disconnect (even backup goes) then it will reset connect with the higher speed. (52Mbps and12Mbps upload) About 1 hour after that it disconnects to the lower speed.. this cycle just keeps happening and it’s very weird. Happens with 2 different modems. It’s a cycle of disconnects and speeds. Tbh just staying on backup mode was better then this because now it’s basically unusable because of the drop outs. 

cf4

Because the same cycle is happening with two different modems I don't think it is a faulty modem but is more likely to be either a intermittent line fault or a faulty port on the node.

It could be wires from another cable pair intermittently connecting to your cable pair and then disconnecting. When it connects the link drops out and resynchronizes at half the speed due to the double termination. When the cable pair disconnects the link drops out again but then resynchronizes at the  higher speed.

There should be no LOS (Los of sync) or LOF (Los of frames) on a normal connection with no faults. There are normally FEC and sometimes a few SES and ES errors on a DSL link.

Edit

Do you have any ethernet power adapters? These can cause interference on DSL connections when there is data being transmitted by the ethernet power adapter.

Danni002

No Ethernet power adapters. 
Given how long the nbn technician was here today I would of thought everything would of been fixed. The higher speed is great to have back but not when it’s dropping constantly. Considering it took 3 months to get someone out I’m not looking forward calling them back. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit