Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How ridiculous is the situation, trying to connect a home phone to NBN!

I am completely disgusted with Telstra's service and information in relation to connecting a home phone back once connected to NBN! There is literally ZERO information on the web and any questions (both online in this forum or others and via phone chat) make ZERO bloody sense.

How hard is it for Telstra to provide a simple answer to so many people that want a home phone connected to their NBN box when not using the antiquated and worthless in the WIFI area Telstra Gateway?

I have a Netgear D7000 as my router now, because it sends a 10-12mbps signal to my business flat in the back yard, compared to ZERO signal via the Gateway. But the D7000 doesn't have a phone port like the Gateway, hence we currently have no phone. 

Can someone please supply a simple Layman's answer to what needs to be done to connect a home phone under this config?

Not asking much surely.

Cheers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How ridiculous is the situation, trying to connect a home phone to NBN!

Unfortunately, it is a quite simple answer.

Using your desired configuration, you cannot connect a home phone. Telstra do not supply the SIP settings for their VOIP service to consumers, and the D7000 has no phone connectivity anyway.

In order to connect a home phone on your NBN service, you need to connect the Telstra supplied modem to your network. You then connect your handset (either via DECT or the Green Phone port) to the Telstra modem. This is the standard phone connection across all NBN connections unless you have ordered a UNI-V1 connection on an FTTP connection.

If you still wish to use the netgear D7000, you will need to connect the WAN port of the D7000 to a LAN port of the Gateway and then set the D7000 to act as an Access Point. This is the simplest configuration.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

And hence my statement of how ridiculous this situation is!!

Jupiter, do you know then if it is easy (not expensive) to have a UNI-V1 connection made available?

Cheers.

Highlighted

It can be a pain to get it approved for activation (they don't like to do it as it is a non-standard install), but it is the cost of a standard phone service from memory.

Give 1800 834 273 a call and see how you go requesting the service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I should point out, that other providers use exactly the same system of requiring their modem to be used as well.

You can get around it if you know how to hack the firmware (I have full root access to my TPG modem now), but if anything goes wrong it leaves you without support.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit