olo
Level 2: Rookie

how to get 4G backup

Answered

Hi,

I have a smart modem capable of 4G backup (Arcadyan LH1000). How can I upgrade my plan or what do I need to do to get the sim card (I assume it needs one). I browsed heaps telstra pages an I cannot find any way to do it.

I can see that 4G is included in all new connections but it wasn't at the time I connected.

cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: how to get 4G backup

You shouldn't need to do anything to get the 4G backup working. When you first connect the modem the server should recognize the modem is capable of 4G backup and enable the 4G backup in the modem. The SIM card should have come with a SIM card inserted.

The Mobile Signal light should be either green, orange or red? The mobile mode light should be off and only turn green if the main link drops out for over 3 minutes.

Section 25 of document linked in this post shows the correct mobile settings in the modem.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The SIM should already be in it and activated. It is available to all Telstra Home Broadband Services.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4
Accepted Solution

You shouldn't need to do anything to get the 4G backup working. When you first connect the modem the server should recognize the modem is capable of 4G backup and enable the 4G backup in the modem. The SIM card should have come with a SIM card inserted.

The Mobile Signal light should be either green, orange or red? The mobile mode light should be off and only turn green if the main link drops out for over 3 minutes.

Section 25 of document linked in this post shows the correct mobile settings in the modem.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

olo

I vaguely remember having an option (years ago) to choose between 4G backup and not. At the time my internet connection was for entertainment only so 4G backup wasn't necessary. Since I started working from home I really would like to get the backup connection.

is there a way to check if the simcard is there?

olo

thank you for the link to the documentation.

the status says that indeed I do have the sim card in it but it never ever worked. When the link goes down the modem doesn't switch to 4G

Mobile Information
Device Status
Ready
Manufacturer ID
Quectel
Device module
EG06-AUTL
Device IMEI
868------
Firmware version
EG06AUTLLAR01A15M4G_ACY
Parameters version
EG06AUTL_ACY_V00014_201807051
SIM Status
Valid
SIM IMSI
505-------------10
SIM Subscriber ID

SIM ICCID
8961-----------------52

I will keep digging. thank you pushing me onto the right track :-)
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You can check the modem by disconnecting the NBN internet service (pull the cable out of the grey DSL port or the red WAN port and wait a few minutes, the modem should switch over to 4G mode (blue indicator on the front)..  if it works you just reconnect the internet service and the modem will switch to internet mode (green indicator)  if it doesn't work, the modem might be faulty..  try turning the modem off, removing and replacing the SIM card and power on - maybe check the SIM contacts are clean while you are in the process..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

The 4G backup doesn't operate every time the link goes down. The drop out must be for over 4 minutes and even is drop out is longer than 4 minutes not all types of link failures are detected. The modem's WAN or DSL port has to be physically disconnected for mobile backup to operate in these cases.

Suggest you do a factory reset if mobile backup does work when WAN or DSL port is disconnected.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit