Level 1: Cadet

How to get my WI-FI signal throughout the house

TELSTRA Complaint SR 1-634542463205

My wife and I and 3 children moved into our current residence in 2000. The house was built in 1988. It is a large 2 storey, 6 bedroom, double brick house with concrete floors. I am now a retired mobility impaired pensioner.

We have been Telstra customers for decades. Soon after moving in we moved from a dial-up modem to ISDN. Your technicians installed this into our study as this was the entry point for the Telstra line. We were too far from the exchange for ADSL. A few years later a neighbour told us that they had ADSL so we contacted Telstra and again Telstra sent technicians to install the modem into our study. We suffered with the slowest ADSL speeds in Canberra.

I have contacted you a number of times over the years regarding our line speed but most of the time we just accepted that we had a reliable slow service. A number of times we have had Telstra technicians in our home checking our 4 outlets and checking that we were getting the best possible speed. Our only major problems occurred when someone at your exchange switched our phone number with another persons causing us and them many issues.

However, since 26th August 2015, we have had nothing but problems, as briefly detailed below. We have constantly had no phone or internet service at all. Your technicians have arrived at our house on 5 occasions, a different person each time, and a different solution each time. The first 3 tested everything and confirmed that our installation was correct in the study [which is downstairs] and that all the other access points were testing fine. The fourth told us that all the previous Telstra techs were wrong for the past 15 years and that the entry point for our Telstra cable was the kitchen [which is upstairs]. He then rewired our phone points and we disconnected our other hands free phones leaving only the kitchen and study active. He supposedly tested our network said it would be OK to leave the modem in the study

Our 5th Telstra technician arrived on the 19th November. After extensive checking he found that all the previous Telstra techs were indeed wrong for the past 15 years and that the entry point for our Telstra cable was actually the 3rd bedroom downstairs [my daughter’s bedroom]. He then disconnected our other 3 phone jacks and moved the modem and our only remaining hands free phone to the 3rd bedroom which is the worst possible location for us. Had we known this originally we would have made this bedroom our study and had the home network installed there. However because of Telstra we have made a huge costly mistake.

I spent thousands of dollars getting our house wired with network cabling from the hub in the study downstairs to each bedroom and most importantly to the living room upstairs where I have setup my home office. Because of my mobility problems I avoid the stairs whenever possible and live upstairs where the kitchen, my bedroom and the living room with my home office is located.

Since yesterday my fixed network no longer works and my wireless signal from our modem, a Technicolor TG799VAC, is intermittent and means I cannot do anything like writing this letter on the internet as my connection keeps dropping out and I lose all of my work. My computer tells me that my Wi-Fi connection is limited and that means no service at all. Later it will work for a while before dropping out again.

I spend most of my days on the computer and now my connection is so bad that I can forget about my home business, internet gaming or streaming services as I don’t even have reliable email. During the past 15 years, even when using your ISDN service I had a least a reliable service now I have nothing at times.

All of my problems have been caused by wrong advice from Telstra. I have always opted for a professional Telstra install for all of my phone and internet access at some cost to me and I have been told nothing but lies.

Please advise me how I can get a reliable Wi-Fi signal upstairs from my modem as I don’t believe I can justify, on my pension, rewiring the whole house again to get a fixed network working upstairs.

Mike
<details removed to protect your privacy>

TELSTRA PROBLEMS

WED 26082015 FROM 0430 NO INTERNET OR PHONE SERVICE

CHECKED PIT AND FOUND CABLES AND CONNECTORS UNDER WATER

0810 RANG TELSTRA AND THEY PROMISED A TEMP PHONE AND TECHNICIAN ON 01092015

THUR 27082015         TEMP PHONE RECEIVED AND EVENTUALLY GOT IT TO WORK

FRI 280815      HOME INTERNET STARTING TO COME BACK - 20KBPS PHONE ONLY CRACKLING

SAT 290815     INTERNET SLOWLY COMING BACK BUT STILL NO PHONE SERVICE

SUN 300815    INTERNET NOW STEADY AT 250KBPS WHICH IS WELL BELOW NORMAL   HOME PHONE NOISY BUT STARTING TO WORK

TUE 01092015            0800    TECH ARRIVED AND FOUND PIT WITH WATER AND CABLES AND CONNECTOR LEFT LYING IN WATER INSTEAD OF BEING          SUSPENDED AT TOP OF PIT OUT OF WATER FOUND NEIGHBORS CABLE INCORRECTLY INSULATED AND THIS COULD HAVE BEEN INTERFERRING    WITH OUR SERVICE REPLACED OUR CONNECTIONS AND SUSPENDED CABLES OUT OF WATER INTERNET BACK TO NORMAL = DOWNLOADS AT 350KBPS

TUE 01092015            1400    HOME PHONE NOW NOT RECEIVING CALLS - NOT ON TEMP PHONE OR ON HOME PHONE - THE NUMBER YOU HAVE CALLED IS NOT AVAILABLE FROM THIS SERVICE

WED 02092015 0900   TELSRA 132203 REF 157396392 NOW CANNOT MAKE ANY CALLS IN OR OUT FROM            TEMP PHONE OR ON HOME PHONE -

THE NUMBER YOU HAVE CALLED IS NOT AVAILABLE FROM THIS SERVICE

TOLD HELP DESK WANTED TO RETURN TEMP PHONE BUT NOW I AGAIN HAVE NO HOME PHONE AND NO INTERNET AND TEMP PHONE ALSO FAULTY CANNOT EVEN CALL TELSTRA HOME INTERNET SERVICE THEN DIED FOR NEARLY 30 MINUTES AND THEN SERVICE RESUMED AT            10-20KBPS   BUNDLE ALLOWANCE STILL SHOWS 133GB LEFT

WED 02092015 1250   RANG TELSRA ABOUT PHONE AND INTERNET PROBS. TEMP PHONE ONLY WORKING FOR INTERNET

WED 02092015 1420 TEMP PHONE NOT WORKING FOR INTERNET - SPEED=0

WED 02092015 1520 after long phone call TEMP PHONE WORKING FOR INTERNET [cut off by temp     accounts staff without warning]

THUR 03092015          INTERNET STILL AT CRAWL SPEED 20KBPS

FRI 04092015  0900 INTERNET WORKING AGAIN

FRI 04092015  1300 TECH RANG TO SAY ALL OK

FRI 04092015  1430 HOUSE PHONE IS AGAIN NOT ACCEPTING CALLS

FRI 04092015  1520 HOUSE PHONE IS AGAIN NOT ACCEPTING OR MAKING CALLS AND INTERNET IS ZERO

FRI 04092015  1600    TELSTRA SAY THEY WILL GET TEMP SERVICE REACTIVATED

FRI 04092015  1700    FIXED LINE WORKING AND TEMP SERVICE INTERNET NOT WORKING BUT NO CALL FROM TELSTRA AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING. I HAVE TO KEEP RUNNING UP AND DOWN STAIRS TO CHECK SERVICE BECAUSE I DON'T GET TOLD WHAT IS HAPPENING.

MON 07092015          UNREQUESTED TEMP PHONE RECEIVED AND SENT BACK

SUN 13092015            1600    NO INTERNET OR PHONE SERICE       1730 RUNG TELSTRA

TUE 15092015 0900    NO INTERNET OR PHONE SERICE

TUE 15092015 1000    TECH ARRIVED - left at 1245 with service down on previous 250k v 350k TECH HAS DISCONNECTED LIVING ROOM PHONE WHICH RUNS OFF KITCHEN POINT

TUE 15092015 1800    SLOW INTERNET NO PHONE SERVICE - TECH TO COME ON THURSDAY

TUE 15092015 1930    NO INTERNET NO PHONE SERVICE

THUR 17092015          0700    INTERNET SLOW = SPEEDTEST 1.36MBPS

THUR 17092015          0745    INTERNET BACK TO NORMAL - STILL CAN’T RING HOUSE BUT CAN MAKE OUTGOING CALLS. INCOMING CALLS = TELSTRA MESSAGE THAT “THE MOBILE SERVICE THAT YOU HAVE RUNG IS SWITCHED OFF”

WED 21102015           HOME INTERNET STILL 10 TO 20% DOWN. AT 1430 HOME INTERNET

SPEED DROPPED TO 1KBPS

MON 16112015   1100 NO INTERNET OR PHONE AGAIN

TUE 17112015 RANG TELSTRA AND TECH WILL ARRIVE ON THUR

WED 18112015           NO INTERNET OR PHONE AGAIN

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 23: Superhero

Re: How to get my WI-FI signal throughout the house

Hello Mike,

We are Telstra customers like you, so our resources are limited to advice.

I would recommend you delete your email address and any private information from your post.

As you seem to have done everything possible, you may wish to consider lodging formal complaints etc. with the appropriate bodies.

I don't think you will get an authoritive solution here, as it appears ???     to be a systemic line or exchange issue  ??????

but I can only guess. ????

Thank you

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mikkkl,

Thanks for your post here. There is really no easy answer to your Wi-Fi trouble. Wireless signals can travel through walls and other objects but the success at which they do so it determined by the composition of the things it has to go through. Travelling through plaster and wooden interior walls is easy for example but beaming through double brick or concrete is not.  

Combine this with a double story home and you have got the perfect storm. The good news is you have networked your home, this is one of the best things you could have done. This will allow you the flexibility to explore options such as adding another Wi-Fi router. 

This is my understanding of locations?

Study -  Hub
Daughters bedroom - Modem location

Ground Floor
Networked - All bedrooms 

First Floor
Networked - Living room / Office

I assume you have a network point in your daughters room, connected to the modem, which goes back to a network switch in the HUB. If your points aren't working, I'd suggest going back to the modem, connecting a laptop via Ethernet and confirming it works at the modem. Then, look at the switch in the HUB, this may need to be restarted. Failing that, give the installer a call if under warranty and have them check the points.

Wi-Fi,

You mentioned you have concrete floors and double brick. Ideally, you need at a minimum of one router on each floor.  Once you have the internal cabling working again, I'd suggest getting a decent wireless router and connecting it in bridge mode, upstairs, in the middle of your home. 

We see this from time to time, especially in heritage homes with double brick. With the internal cabling done, you're almost there. You just need the last piece to your puzzle - a second router.

Hope this helps :-)

Nick 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Further to your post,

I've had a look at your fault and can see we had a Technician out on the 19th, the fault was closed as resolved. Your broadband line test looks excellent and I can't see any disconnections over the past 24 hours. The modem is connected  to us at 3.4mbps, down and 0.9mbps up. This comes down to your distance from the exchange which is 5.5km. These are the results I would expect to see at this distance.

How does everything look since we were out? 

Nick

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 1: Cadet

I need an answer to my question: How to get wi-fi signal to our mob phones.  I have new modem and NBN connections.

My phone keep asking IP address?  what is this? It says autentication problem..

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi jr-12er,

Your WiFi can be affected by a range of factors. Further information and tips which may help improve your WiFi can be found here: How To Troubleshoot WiFi. Our technical support team can also be contacted on Live Chat  http://tel.st/gq6m (or call 133933) and will be able to investigate this further for you. 

- Tim 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit