Manee1
Level 1: Cadet

HOw to know if the Fault IS not in your own Equipment or Setup?

Answered

hi,

i have got intermittent internet, FTTN, since 5 days now. I have gone through Telstra reps and now there is an Nbn TEchnician appointment made. My question is that how do i find out if the Fault is not in my own Equipment or setup? so i dont have to pay any money to Telstra. thanks. pls help. my modem is DJA0231TLS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: HOw to know if the Fault IS not in your own Equipment or Setup?

You don't need to share the event log the line stats are give sufficient indication that there is a cable fault. There are 11 sync retrain counts which indicates the link has dropped out 11 times due to poor signal. There are also LOS, ES  CRC and SES errors. You usualy don't get any LOS errors and non or very few CRC, ES or SES errors on a normal link that is not faulty.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You could provide details on the symptoms so that possibly someone here can help.

You could also try the Telstra Troubleshooting page https://fix.telstra.com.au/

cf4

A good place to start is to look at the DSL link stats. Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL. If they link retrain type errors then the problem is very likely a street cabling fault and not a fault in your own equipment.

See section 26 of the document linked in this post . There is an example of a normal link and also one suffering from dropouts.

The error counters get reset every time modem is powered off and back on. So if modem has just been rebooted counters will only show errors for the period modem was last powered on.

Manee1

Manee1

Can i share the Whole event log here? or do i have to edit it? its in file format. thanks

cf4
Accepted Solution

You don't need to share the event log the line stats are give sufficient indication that there is a cable fault. There are 11 sync retrain counts which indicates the link has dropped out 11 times due to poor signal. There are also LOS, ES  CRC and SES errors. You usualy don't get any LOS errors and non or very few CRC, ES or SES errors on a normal link that is not faulty.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit