CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How to register my decision not to use battery backup for NBN?

Answered

When NBN came to my neighbourhood it was compulsory to switch to NBN.

NBN with battery backup was the only option.

Even though I didn't want battery backup.

And now the battery has died I decided not to replace it.

So now I don't want to get reminders to replace the battery.

I press "Alarm Silence" to stop the annoying beep.

Every day the silencing is cancelled and I have to keep pressing the "Alarm Silence" button.

I contact NBN and they tell me I need to notify my Internet Service Provider.

So how to notify Telstra to stop cancelling the "Alarm Silence" every day?

To whom do I send my email?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: How to register my decision not to use battery backup for NBN?

Hi there,

Not sure I understand why you wouldn't want to replace the $20-$30 battery and have the assurance of electrically stable internet/phone connection.

Anyway if you was to press and hold the silence alarm for 15+ seconds a beep should be herd and the flashing amber light should then be static on, this should mute indefinitely. Don't quote me as I just did a quick search..

Cheers,
Dave

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thank you. This resolves the problem.

Our situation in City of Melbourne high density residence has relatively reliable electricity supply

(unplanned outage only once every 10 years; we lived here >60 years & unplanned outage about half a dozen times)

and high speed mobile data is very reliable (multiple providers).  So our preferred backup is to use mobile network.

Also the data equipment and phones attached to the NBN would need to have their own UPS, costing above $1000.

and then the cost of battery replacement is on top of that (seems to be every 2 years or so).

What threw me was misunderstanding (lack of clarity) of the NBN instruction book.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hi there,

Not sure I understand why you wouldn't want to replace the $20-$30 battery and have the assurance of electrically stable internet/phone connection.

Anyway if you was to press and hold the silence alarm for 15+ seconds a beep should be herd and the flashing amber light should then be static on, this should mute indefinitely. Don't quote me as I just did a quick search..

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

I agree with Caaf, forking out $20-$30 for a stable internet connection is worth it.

I don't have that luxtury, I had to get a pure sinwave ups for my bigpond adsl conection, and will still use it with the FTTN.

Although my adsl takes a good 5-10 minutes to reconnect without an ups, so not sure how long FTTP takes? Its nice though to keep doing what I am doing when the power goes off and on for no visable reason at times (What we put up with in the Dandenongs I guess?)

Oz

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thank you. This resolves the problem.

Our situation in City of Melbourne high density residence has relatively reliable electricity supply

(unplanned outage only once every 10 years; we lived here >60 years & unplanned outage about half a dozen times)

and high speed mobile data is very reliable (multiple providers).  So our preferred backup is to use mobile network.

Also the data equipment and phones attached to the NBN would need to have their own UPS, costing above $1000.

and then the cost of battery replacement is on top of that (seems to be every 2 years or so).

What threw me was misunderstanding (lack of clarity) of the NBN instruction book.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit