Level 3: Gumshoe

How to retain voip house phone number for use after rebuild?

I currently have a wireless NBN service with a voip house phone. My phone number is attached to the NBN service. I am demolishing my house/rebuilding and want to keep the house phone number for use later but rental house is on a different exchange. We are renting a house with a FTTN NBN service two towns away while we are rebuilding How do I retain home phone number (had it for 25+ years) for use when we move back into our new house? Am I able to have the existing number attached to my mobile while rebuilding and then back to the new NBN service that will be back at my original address for the new house?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to retain voip house phone number for use after rebuild?

When you ask for the service to be disconnected request a "number redirection" to a different line (your mobile). The "number redirection" has a small ongoing charge but allows you to keep the number and receive calls somewhere else while you have no physical line.

Even if you cancel completely you should be able to reactivate the original number for at least 6 months (https://www.acma.gov.au/reclaim-your-phone-number-telco).

Also if NBN equipment will be impacted by the demolition. You should cancel the service with Telstra, then request NBN remove their equipment per https://www.nbnco.com.au/develop-or-plan-with-the-nbn/commercial-works

Then when the new home is ready, ordering a service from Telstra will trigger a new NBN install visit.

After a 7 hour painful app chat I am now in the process of a transfer (well I have a job number if nothing else) and because the rental house is on a different exchange have reserved (they wouldn’t do a redirect to my mobile as the concept seemed too hard to understand) my original number (another painful long app chat) for a small fee each month until my rebuild finishes. The old service has been disconnected, well at the least phone number is. Checking my accounts it all still shows my original service only. I guess I will see what they did on my next bill. The NBN is not on yet at my rental even though more than 48 hours have passed. Who knows if this has actually happening. 

Well after a week the NBN is on but there is an issue reported via the app. Luckily a simple fix of changing the cable into a different port. Yay internet again. I then get a phone call from Telstra (and we get them all the time from spammers) so you can appreciate I am suspicious. The guy asks for my birthdate and I say that they give half and I give the other half. The operator refused, so I refused. He told me to ring 1800 834 273 and select the option Order check. I google the number it is Telstra. I ring the number and select check order and it tells me to use the app to check the status of my order. So no human again and around in circles. He obviously doesn’t know that the 1800 number doesn’t get you through to a person.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit