CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

How to stop conversion to NBN

Answered

Telstra delivered my Technicolor gen 2 modem mid last-year. I didn't want to commit to Telstra NBN at that time. In November I started having reliability issues with my cable-modem. I had a long conversation with a Telstra representative, they wanted me to use the new modem, as it would offer them better facilities for support. He assured me I could use the modem without committing to Telstra NBN. 

I didn't do the installation of the new modem at the time because of the complexity of re-configuring my home network.

Yesterday we had an outage caused by NBN work. I decided to configure the technicolor modem because of the 4G backup (which failed through poor local coverage). After most of a day's disruption and talking to a very inexperienced person at a new call centre in Brisbane, we got the modem working.

I then get a text from telstra saying they will automatically convert me to NBN. Which I don't want. I'm on 110 Gbs down and 5Gbs up and cant get anything equivalent for similar price yet, and also don't want any kind of early-adopter risk.

The SMS had a telephone number to call, 1800996203, which I called. The voice menu kept sending me to the Telstra App - i need to talk to a person. I am so fed up with going down paths which are irrelevant to my needs. I'm the only person in these interactions not being paid.

I prefer not to go to the Telstra Store in a busy shopping centre. 

How do I get some action on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: How to stop conversion to NBN

Ok Thanks for your help.
Looks like you are right. Though the language is a little different on the site.
Funny everyone I know ain't moving yet because of similar concerns. Time to accept it in my area by the looks.

Cheers...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

I have the Telstra 24x7 chat transcript from november assuring me I wouldnt have to convert to NBN.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

With great difficulty. If you got sent the new modem mid last year, you will be approaching the cutoff very rapidly.

Go to www.nbnco.com.au and enter your address and it will tell you when the cutover date is (ie the non-NBN service will be cut off). You can't avoid that from happening.

It doesn't matter who you go with for your NBN service. You won't get the same service level for the same price that you are currently paying due to the way that NBN Co charges for NBN connections.

You can try to get in contact with Telstra by sending a message through the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and someone will get back to you within a few hours/couple of days.

And you are at no risk of being an early adopter. You are one of the last in the country to connect.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ok Thanks for your help.
Looks like you are right. Though the language is a little different on the site.
Funny everyone I know ain't moving yet because of similar concerns. Time to accept it in my area by the looks.

Cheers...

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit