JennyB
Level 1: Cadet

How to troubleshoot NBN without a mobile?

Answered

Hi, does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to find out whether the problem with my 86 year old mother's NBN nternet and phone service lies inside or outside the house -  when she doesn't have a mobile phone and therefore can't talk to a telstra technician to troubleshoot the problem? I live in Brisbane and she's in country SA.  I just had a ludicrous conversation with a Telstra tech who insisted they had to have someone to tell them which lights were green on the modem. I find it very hard to believe they can't do some remote diagnostics to tell if the signal is getting there or not. Any suggestions on how to progress this? The best suggestion from the Telstra tech was to contact them again when I 'get home'!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: How to troubleshoot NBN without a mobile?

It is not unreasonable for a tech to want to know what the lights on the modem (front and back) are showing..

Have you checked the address here https://outages.telstra.com/#/   to make sure there isn't a wider outage at present.

First thing to try would be to power the modem down for a few minutes, then power it back up (support will want that to be done anyway)....

If there is no phone available it makes it tough, but if comfortable to do so, your mother could contact Telstra through the My Account web browser and chat to support from there..

Is your mother a priority customer by any chance? That would get her better support...

If you are authorised on her account, you may be able to make enquiries on her behalf, but you will still actions to be carried out at the modem..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

It is not unreasonable for a tech to want to know what the lights on the modem (front and back) are showing..

Have you checked the address here https://outages.telstra.com/#/   to make sure there isn't a wider outage at present.

First thing to try would be to power the modem down for a few minutes, then power it back up (support will want that to be done anyway)....

If there is no phone available it makes it tough, but if comfortable to do so, your mother could contact Telstra through the My Account web browser and chat to support from there..

Is your mother a priority customer by any chance? That would get her better support...

If you are authorised on her account, you may be able to make enquiries on her behalf, but you will still actions to be carried out at the modem..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Dowser
Level 20: Director

What makes you think that there is a problem with the internet?.

What are the symptoms?.

JennyB
Level 1: Cadet

The symptoms were: no internet connection, no phone service. So chatting on the app was out. 
Turned out it was a cable pulled out of the modem apparently.  Thanks for your replies   though. 

Dowser

I’m glad that it’s sorted and that your mother is back online with a functioning phone.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit