Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hybrid Fibre Upload Speed

I am on a 50Mbps plan and getting those download speeds. Since returning from travel 20 days ago I have had upload speeds of well under 1Mbps. We cannot use the NBN connecting to do simple things like online shopping, and working from home requires us to tether to our Mobiles. Each of the last 3 weekends I have been online to the Telstra help to resolve the issues with over 6 hours of my life wasted each weekend. Then the ticket is marked as resolved the following Tuesday without any reference to me. It seems that Telstra only markets download speed and if I have a good download speed then they believe that my package is OK. No one I have talked to can understand that you need some upload capacity to perform normal activities. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Hybrid Fibre Upload Speed

First test would be to disconnect the WAN connection from the NBN NTD to the modem. Connect a laptop or PC with an ether net cable to the NBN NTD port and run Speedtest...  https://www.speedtest.net/

If that looks ok as far as upload/download speeds, then connect the WN port back up to the Modem and run the same speedtest  on the same device, but connected to a modem LAN port..  is there much difference between the two tests?

Also, the devices that you have been experiencing the problem with, are they connected by cable or Wi-FI? If you are using Wi-FI, try a cable connection if you can.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

I have connected my laptop directly to the NBN connector box via ethernet cable, and had the same results as when via ethernet through the Telstra Router ( I do not understand why Telstra insists on calling their router a Modem). We have a bunch of devices that can be attached via WiFi to the router and all generally have a slightly lower download speed, but slightly higher upload speed. Ethernet connections tend to get 54 Download, and zero to 0.3 upload. WiFi connections tend to get about 44 download and 0.5 to 0.7 upload, but their users cannot connect to their office bases, and have to tether to their phones.On each of the last 3 weeks I have gone through all of the tests that these guys have on their lists including power resets and the pinhole button resets of both the NBN and Telstra boxes. WE had NBN out to change the NBN connector box early on. When he left our Site, we had an upload of 17Mbps, but two hour later it was back to 0.1Mbps.

Highlighted

The Smart Modem 2, also has a modem capability and is used where there is no NBN NTH device.

If you get slow uploads when connected directly to the NBN NTD, then the problem would seem to be the NBN service?

Which model of Smart Modem do you have? If you have 4G backup capability you could try disconnecting the WAN port, and let the SM2 switch to 4G mode - then run Speedtest again from a device connected by ethernet and also by Wi-Fi to the Smart Modem in 4G mode.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

I suspect that it is a shaping problem. At any rate as I am at work, I cannot test the 4G connection until I get Home.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

I don't think it is a shaping problem. The fact that you have the same slow speed when connected directly to the NBN NTD  tends to indicate the Telstra modem is not causing the slow speed. It is most probably a fault on the NBN link. As the upload and download use different frequencies on the coax cable there could be a line fault that only effects the upload speed.

A tracert (trace route) might provide more information on wether the problem is in the NBN link or the Telstra network.

Highlighted

As cf4 says, it doesn't seem like a shaping problem, download is usually affect as well in that situation.

Have you tried power cycling or  resetting the NBN NTD? 

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Well, I have turned off the NBN NTD, and waited until the Telstra router reverted to 4G. The telstra speed test on 4G gave me 6 download and 2 upload (Ping was in the 20s somewhere). I then swapped a short cable (120cm down to 40cm) between  NBN NTD and the wall socket and the telstra speed test improved to 54.9 down and jumping between 1.5 and 1.9 up. I will need to play a bit, but this might be enough for us to carry out a bunch of usual activities. But it is nowhere near what I believe I am paying for. It was sold to me as a 50/20 package although Telstra do not seem to mention upload speeds any more. I have spent 3 weeks trying to talk to Telstra to tell them I have a problem with upload speeds. In the end tickets are closed because they believe that a 54Mbps download speed is all I need. How do I get the issue to the attention of someone who can do something about it.

Highlighted

My 4G DL is 24.5 and UL 2.6  - my DL was given a boost during Covid and seems to have stayed that way.

But apart from that I think your 4G is OK. So it looks to be an NBN issue unfortunately. I'm on HFC Cable with speed boost applied so my DL/UL speeds are 107/38. But it might be the shorter length of cable or damage to the older long one. Are there any other HFC sockets in the place, any splitters? Are they connected to anything?

But I'm thinking the NBN NTD could be suspect (especially as you have now power cycled it) - as UL speed is affected. Off to the dreaded My Telstra app and then Get Help | Chat...  when Codi intercepts you type in Talk to a human/Consultant/person..  you should get to a queue and someone will then message you back on the app - which could take a while!  But only Telstra can organise to have NBN check your service..  you can explain your fault finding steps but they will probably want you to do some things anyway - fudge that bit with the answers you already know.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

NBN Co as well don't mention upload speeds any more and only mention download speeds.

. NBN Co has lowered the upload speed on fixed radio connections from 20 MBps to 10 Mbps on the 50/20 plan but on all other service the upload speed has not been changed. On HFC the speed should be

NBN 12 Basic (12/1Mbps)

NBN 25 Standard (25/5Mbps)

NBN 50 Standard Plus (50/20Mbps)

NBN 100 Premium (100/40Mbps or 100/20Mbps). 

I am on the NBN 50 speed tier with Telstra (FTTN connection) and due to distance from Node get 44 down and 12 up. On NBN HFC you should be able to get 50 down and 20 up. If you can't get 20 up there is a fault. 

Highlighted

Had a notice from Telstra that NBN was working in my area today, and this evening my upload speed is back to where it use to be (just over 17 on what was a 50/20 plan. I am happy with that,

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit