grun2000
Level 1: Cadet

I would like more than 15Gb of broadband please.

I can't get cable broadband where I live. Apparently all the cables are used or something. Telstra sent me an ultimate wi-fi modem but I think the maximum GB I can get on this is 15Gb a month. We are an average family (2 adults/2 children). 15Gb runs out after about 10 days. So I'm paying something like $79 for 10 days of broadband before the limit is reached and becomes unuseable. Is there anyway telstra can permanently lift my limit to say 50Gb, considering that they can not provide a cable service.

Also, the Ultimate modem only handles 5 connections. We have at least 10 devices that connect to Wi-Fi. Is there some other modem that can handle a dozen or so connections?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: I would like more than 15Gb of broadband please.

Is there anyway telstra can permanently lift my limit to say 50Gb,

If you have an ABN/ACN and, are prepared to ‘permanently lift’ your minimum monthly spend on broadband service to say $360, then Telstra Mobile Broadband can offer you plans with 50GB or more of included monthly usage allowance.

…considering that they can not provide a cable service.

Bear in mind that Telstra has no obligation whatsoever to provide you with a fixed line broadband service of any flavour, unless you have already entered into a commercial and contractual agreement with the company to do so.

Also, the Ultimate modem only handles 5 connections. We have at least 10 devices that connect to Wi-Fi. Is there some other modem that can handle a dozen or so connections?

Not any model available from BigPond that will directly connect to its Mobile Broadband service, as far as I'm aware.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
crowlands3314
Level 1: Cadet

Hear hear! I live in a remote rural area where ADSL or cable will probably never be available. Satellite was too slow for us so went to mobile broadband. Why can we only get 15gb, which runs out SO SO quickly? Those on Telstra ADSL get far more for far less. Why are we discriminated against like this?
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Fixed Broadband and Mobile Broadband are vastly different services to provide, which means that you cannot compare the costs directly.

The prices and allowances on our mobile network are set to ensure that we can both continue to provide the service that our customers expect and to maintain/upgrade our infrastructure. Telstra has one of the largest (geographically) mobile networks in the world, over twice as large as our nearest local competitor and the cost of maintaining this network is built into the pricing.

I appreciate that not all services are available in all locations, however we do try to cover as much of the country as possible with our networks and regardless of your location you will pay the same for access to the network. This means that a mobile customer in the Sydney CBD will pay the same as our most remote mobile customer for the service.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Nightbreed
Level 4: Private Eye

So what telstra are saying is . If you live in rural areas you take it or leave it ?
We too are in same boat howevwr we live 2300 metres from our local exchange. We cant get internet either due to no ports free. Funny thng is there are.no ports free in ipswich, fernvale or borallon exchange. But yet telstra still sell internet packages they can not provide. Our only option is the 4g.wifi hubs but they will charge us 95 dollars for only 15gb. we use easily 60gb a month min. we have heard they have upgradied the ezchanges and supplying new ports. After speaking to numerous telatra workers who have come o our house all of said this never happened.
why doesnt telstra provide a cheaper wirless plan for those people that they cant provide cable or adsl too until telstra fixes the issue. Or is it that telstra will not do this cause they know they will not bother to fix the solution that so many people face in rural areas. instead of trying to expand there covergae area why dont they try and.fix the many holes in there net .
Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for your feedback Nightbreed. At this stage we don't have separate plans for mobile broadband services based on whether a fixed service is available but I will pass it on to our product team so they can assess whether it is something we can introduce in future

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Nightbreed
Level 4: Private Eye

So until then the people that cant get nbn ,cant get cable and thanks to full port cant get adsl. We are all stuck with wirless which is way over priced especially if people use over 50gb? Seems to me telstra didnt think that the popluation of australia wouldnt grow. telstra did way better when it was controled by the government and shoildnt have been sold off to the private sector . Where they want to make lots of mobey and not.able to supply the people with a product. Or at least give the people that they cant provide cheap affordable internet to an option to use wirless at normal wired prices.until telstra can supply them with adsl, cable or nbn. Surley telstra is making a large enough profit off the people of australia to do this? If they cant do this maybe allow.another wholesale provider into the maeket as even optus has to rent telstra lines in alot of areas . Seems telstra has got the telecommunication business all wraped up and the people of australia dont have much of a choice. The lesser of two evils as the saying goes

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit