Emjay2
Level 1: Cadet

Ideas to escalate a concern

Hi Brains Trust,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success in escalating concerns?

Our FTTN NBN has been dodgy since 23 February 2021, and despite everyone acknowledging the problem, more than a dozen complaints, technician investigations, and "fixes" our service ranges from 0 to not much better.

We have tried local MP, Ombudsman, NBN and Telstra, but no-one seems to be competent at dealing with the issue. Sadly it is now impacting on my kids who cannot access online textbooks at home, and I've not been able to work from home due to the unreliable connection.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Ideas to escalate a concern

If you've been to the Ombudsman and they haven't been able to resolve the problem, there isn't much else that can be done, you would just need to keep the lines of communications open with them and make sure that they are aware of what is happening.

Has anyone told you what the issue with your service is?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Emjay2

Hi Jupiter,

According to the experts - Telstra blame NBNco, and keep requesting an NBN technician to come out. NBNco claim their is no issues and keep closing the tickets (remote diagnosis). Meanwhile we managed to get a good technician out earlier who said the node was a mess and the pairs are faulty - which is why we are flat out getting to 10/0.5mbps, and dropouts constantly. (max line speed is 12). We are about 1.5km from the node, despite being less than 2km from a major urban centre.

Ombudsman said they would take it further but don't have any resources to appoint a case worker for another 10+ weeks. Telstra claim that NBNco will upgrade the service on Saturday (this will be the 5th upgrade).

I can handle the inconvenience of travelling for work to access internet (like we did pre-covid!) but when the kids marks are affected because they can't access high school textbooks - something has to be done.

Jupiter

The explanation that you have been given sounds reasonable and perfectly believable.

Unfortunately the TIO is severely under resourced for the number of complaints it receives, so delays on that front are not unexpected.

Waiting for NBN Co (and to get a technician who actually cares about what they are doing) is also not unusual. Their tech support model is terrible and they don't even bother following up a lot of the time with the end user at the time of repairs to make sure that they are successful.

I abandoned the NBN due to them not being able to provide a fast enough connection to be able to cope with 2 of us working from home and 2 high school kids remote learning during last year's lockdown in Victoria. I was just lucky that where I am in regional Victoria that we had other options open to us (a wireless internet solution - not mobile broadband).

Although, if you are desperate, using the mobile backup on your modem (assuming you have a Smart modem) may be an option for the schooling (just unplug the modem from the phone line). Or you could look at getting a mobile broadband service for the time being - they are a month to month service and come with up to 400GB per month.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Emjay2

Yes, I had considered those options, but unfortunately we only have 3G mobile connection.... Telstra like to give data as compensation for their inability to provide the service that we're paying for, but only works if they also provide the 4G services as well! 

We had Satellite for a period, but event that was unreliable. 

Jupiter

There's not too many towns that are still 3G only. Where are you located?

Emjay2

I'm in Dakabin QLD... we are in a bit of a dead spot when it comes to mobile coverage, mainly due to topography. A few years ago I had to install a booster w/antenna just to get 3G... but if you go up the road, it is perfectly good 4G! So frustrating!

Jupiter

You've really won the inverse lottery. 95% of Dakabin is on FTTP and there are a number of towers in the area that should give great 3G/4G/5G coverage (if not for the hilly terrain).

The only suggestion on the mobile broadband front would be an antenna on a tall pole on the roof (or even better, put the modem on a tall pole on the roof).

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

From what you have stated, a number of resources have already been used to attempt to correct your FTTN connection.

In your future communications with the aforementioned organisations (especially TIO & NBN) you could consider pushing for a FTTP connection to be installed to achieve resolution.

On that point, you could consider writing directly to Mr Stephen Rue - CEO of NBN Co, and also Mr. Ziggy Switkowski - Chairman of NBN Co.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit