CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Increased broadband speed for nbn during COVID

Answered

Hi, do you know if Telstra are offering complimentary increase of broadband speed? I'm currently on NBN 45mbps which is generally enough however with 3 high school kids learning over the internet and my wife and I working from home, those speeds aren't sufficient. I don't want to pay for an increase for only a few months (fingers crossed!!)

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Increased broadband speed for nbn during COVID

The SSID with -5G is the SSID of the 5 GHz WiFi band. The other SSID is for the 2.4 GHz band. The 5GHz WiFi band is faster close to the modem but it does not loses more power as distance increases and walls block the signal more than on the 2.4 Ghz band. You could try disabling band steering in the modem's 2.4 Ghz WiFi settings to make it easier for device to change bands as the strength of the signal changes..

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Telstra is offering unlimited data on fixed broadband connection and extra data on mobile connections but I don't think they will offer free speed increases. With all the extra traffic you might find the speed decreases due to the extra traffic especially during peak periods. The network would not handle extra data and faster speeds.

Highlighted

Great answer if true....didn't think of that. I'd like to think though that Telstra would've thought about capacity. Telstra?

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Note: you can only increase your speed if you are on an FTTP or HFC connection.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Jupiter, I have FTTP. I am aware that I can increase my speed. I was just wondering whether Telstra would do it as a freebie during these crazy times where there is unprecedented demand on our NBN network. Telstra?

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Chukka wrote:

" freebie" during "unprecedented demand on our NBN network."

I don't think so.

Highlighted

Increasing speeds would put even more demands on the network,  so I doubt that they will do that.

I'm managing on a VDSL (<40Mbps) connection with working from home,  my wife streaming TV and both kids on their internet connections all day and not having an issue. 

Unless the kids school is insisting that they all video conference (which is crazy and unsustainable) every class, then you shouldn't have too many problems. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Ok. I'm sure our demand isn't as much as you but not sure why it's slowing down. My Wi-Fi name comes up as 2 versions,  one ending in "-5G" (5G network??i don't think so) and the signal bounces between the 2. When it throttles,  i notice the Wi-Fi disconnects and by

reconnecting to the other network (same password btw) the issue goes away until that one throttles afterward. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The SSID with -5G is the SSID of the 5 GHz WiFi band. The other SSID is for the 2.4 GHz band. The 5GHz WiFi band is faster close to the modem but it does not loses more power as distance increases and walls block the signal more than on the 2.4 Ghz band. You could try disabling band steering in the modem's 2.4 Ghz WiFi settings to make it easier for device to change bands as the strength of the signal changes..

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

my nbn is running very slow, less than 1mbps, what can i do

Highlighted

how can i get support from telstra. I am trying to call telstra for over an hour

Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

Hi @MUU start by troubleshooting your connection with Smart Troubleshooting

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Highlighted

It sounds like your modem is on LTE backup and has been throttled to 256kbps (the backup is designed for short outages).

What colour are the lights on your modem?

If the WAN/DSL light is off, then your NBN connection is not working. You could try restarting the modem, and if that doesn't work then try calling 1800 834 273.

You can also try to get in contact with Customer Support either via the messaging option in the "My Telstra" app on your phone (bottom right or Help screen), or via the Twitter or Facebook accounts.

Highlighted

I'm currently getting 2mbps on ADSL2+ and can't get through to Telstra. Thank your lucky stars. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit