mattellings
Level 2: Rookie

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter photos not loading, Getting Kicked off xbox live, random drop outs.

Hi everyone,

Here's an issue for you to solve. Im sure it can't be fixed, and I know multiple people that have this issue, and it is unnacceptable. 

Before I start, here is the router I am using: Telstra Gateway Max.

Ok so heres the problem.

I have an android phone, well two on my network and they both have the same issue. The iPhones and iPads seem to be OK. i don't have these issues on the computer either (Macbook Pro and Dell Inspiron).

When I go onto instagram for example, all of the text loads just fine, but the images just sit on 0% and stay like that until it says unable to download. Facebook is usually ok, but sometimes has the same issue, and Twitter, same as instagram. This also happens on the Google Play Store when trying to download apps, and other random things.

I have tried on the 2g and 5g networks and both same issue, but strangely enough, as soon as I connect to 3G/4G network, everything loads great. Why should I have to use my data when at home? Whats the point of paying $200+ a month for a service that doesn't even work!

Also, with Xbox Live, this happens on the 360 and Xbox One. I have Two 360's on the network, one being wired (ethernet), the other on wifi. The xbox one is also connected to the same switch as the wired 360. Don't give me any of that garbage about buying a new switch, because this one works perfectly fine.

I have a moderate NAT type on some games, and sometimes I just get randomly disconnected. I have monitored the lights on the router, and they stay normal, some flashing, some solid. Basically, everything is normal. The other xbox's drop off at random times.

The annoying thing is, when I connect to the Telstra Air network (off my router) everything loads fine on my phone, and I don't want to be forced to use that terrible 3mbit connection. Oh and while I'm at it, the telstra air app says I don't have a valid account, even though when I manually connect to telstra air through wifi settings on my laptop or phone, it works fine.

Back to the xbox, I have forwarded all the ports needed (SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT), I have changed my firewall to low...

Basically, Telstra, get your **bleep** together, and help me with my issues, or give me some pointers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter photos not loading, Getting Kicked off xbox live, random drop outs.

Telstra tech support are there to get a single computer connected to the internet, via Ethernet direct to the modem. After that it's entirely your ball.

If the same apps/sites load fine on everything other than the Android phones, that's a pretty good indicator that it's an issue with those devices.

When you talk about operating off a switch for the Xbox consoles. Is this a separate router/switch you are using? If so, is there any reason they aren't directly connected to the modem itself?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
mattellings

Re: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter photos not loading, Getting Kicked off xbox live, random drop outs.

This is not a fault with the android devices, because a mate of mine, who has a few android devices on his network has the same issue, and I am running the xbox's off a network switch because they are in a seperate room, and I am not running 4 15m ethernet cables from the router.

Edit: My father's iPhone sometimes has these issues with YouTube.

mattellings

Also, I have tried using Google's DNS servers, and still no luck

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

So someone else with Android devices on an entirely different network seems to have the same issues. This doesn't rule out the Android devices at all, in fact it suggests maybe there is more to it 😉

The only way to make sure it's not the other switch introducing problems is to take it out of the equation. That means running direct connections to the modem. I realise it might be a pain in the rear end though. I user ethernet over power for one of xboxs.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
mattellings

Hi Kalak,

I can can confirm that the switch is not the issue because the other xbox which is not connected to the switch also has these drop out issues, I will still try without just to be sure, but I don't think it's causing any issues

Thanks

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit