Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Install of NBN from street to house

I am moving into an old house in Adelaide, have placed the order for the NBN unit, however have just found out that there is no connection from the street to the house, so that needs to be installed as well.  I cannot get through on any of the telstra phone numbers i have or can find, all i get is that Telstra can't help over the phone with my enquiry and to text message with them.  As i have been scammed by a Telstra "overseas" person in the past i refuse to impart my personal information on another unsecure site.  Any ideas how I can get some answers as to how to book the install?  I live in queensland and have been on the NBN up here for years (since it first came out) and never had to do any street to house connections, just plugged the box in and viola, nbn service up and running....is this going to be the same in Adelaide?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Install of NBN from street to house

That depends on how the service is connected.

If the cable comes underground, then you will need to organise a trench and coduit to be laid from the property boundary to the house (Telstra or NBN Co don't do this, it is the homeowners responsibility). NBN Co will then pull the cables through the conduit to the house and perform the rest of the installation.

If it's an aerial installation, then NBN Co will do this as part of the installation.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thank you, as the house is so old all the wiring is external...this is where i find it confusing, so what i gather is the nbn install that has taken place to make her home NBN ready, has the fibreoptics running past her house and is actually already connected to the existing copper house wiring...So does this mean I get the box and just plug that into her existing phone jack?

Highlighted

That will depend on the type of NBN connection that is available. If it is FTTN, then the modem will just plug into the phone socket and off you go.

If it's FTTC, then you will need to plug the NBN NTD into the phone socket (as it provides power to the converter in the street) and the modem into the NTD.

If it's FTTP (fibre optic cable), then there should be an NBN NTD already installed (it might be in the garage) and you plug your modem into that (usually the UNI-D1 port).

Check your address at nbnco.com.au and it will tell you what type of technology is being used.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thank you i have searched it is FTTC, so when I have placed the NBN order for the monthly charge and the zero installation costs, will Telstra provide the NTD as well as the modem?  I cannot get answers from anywhere, phone calls go to texting, and no replies to online queries.  Thanks for you help  

Highlighted

Telstra provides the modem and NBN Co provides the NTD. You should get both of them either when the Technician arrives, or a few days prior.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit