AK34
Level 1: Cadet

Installing Broadband- Same port as Foxtel?

Just wondering if I can use my existing Foxtel port for when my broadband is installed? In-store I was told this is possible and therefore won't need to get a techinician to come out and install it for $298. Please advise

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
_Kara_
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Installing Broadband- Same port as Foxtel?

If your Foxtel is using a coaxial cable port, then yes, cable broadband requires the same type Smiley Happy

Telstra (Retired)

Hi AK34 

What  _Kara_ advised is correct.

When you arrange your cable service you can request for a self installation kit. In the box it comes with a Two-way Cable splitter which will allow you to use it for both the Foxtel unit and your Telstra Cable modem. 

I hope you enjoy your new service when it is up and running and remember if you need any help setting up the modem you are welcome to call us on 133 933 or you can chat to us here http://tel.st/gq6m (both options are open 24x7). 

- Patrice

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

bigmouthmedia
Level 2: Rookie

I'm revisiting this thread to see if it's still possible 2 years down the track.

We are in a rental which has a number of thick black cables running from underground to the side of our house, then inside.

I've discovered a coaxial wall plug branded with Foxtel.
We're not going to get Foxtel but very interested in Telstra Broadband cable.

Would I need a technician to come out to test the line ? How much does it cost for them to do that, and if it's discovered we can't do it, what is the fee ?

And is the splitter required to plug into the cable modem ?

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi bigmouthmedia, 

When you request a Cable service, our systems will advise if a professional installation is required. If this is the case as it's never previously been activated, then the technician visit is free. 

If however it can be set up with a self installation, then all you will need is for the modem etc to be sent out.

In regards to the splitter, you will only need that if wanting to run both Foxtel and Cable Internet from the one coaxial wall socket. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit