Grizz1
Level 2: Rookie

Intermittent Packet Loss

Hello and hope you guys are doing well. For the past few weeks I've been getting constant Ethernet dropouts. I've tried restarting everything and resetting network drivers. Lately, while I'm using the internet I'll be running 3 ping traces concurrently; One to my modem, one to google and one to another IP address. The ping's return fine for my modem. But, google and the other IP randomly experience "request timeouts" for 4 hops until it returns back to normal ping. Sometimes before the timeout pings, a message would appear saying "modem destination unreachable" followed by between 1-4 "request timeout" pings, however my modem pings still return fine This problem becomes evident when I'm playing games, where I'll lose connection for 10 seconds (ish) and rejoin back and it will be completely normal until my next dropout. Also, during these dropouts the lights on my modem do not change so I really am not sure why this is happening. Hopefully this is enough information

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Intermittent Packet Loss

There is not enough information to determine weather the problem is with the Internet link or the network. Suggest you install ping plotter and ran a test. This will give a better idea of were the problem is occurring.

Grizz1

Hello cf4.

Thanks for the advice on Ping Plotter
I've ran the test for about half an hour and I'm running the same pings from last night on Ping Plotter. My modem pings are all greens so no problem. But every time I search something on Google Chrome or just every now and then in general, I get 30-50% packet loss for about 10 seconds on both pings, with the rate of packet loss originating from my modem address. Yet, my modem ping is still good. I would also randomly get 7-10% packet loss on 203.50.11.173 (bundle-ether1.ken-edge903.sydney.telstra.net).

For extra information I'm pinging google dns 8.8.8.8, VATSIM Singapore 68.183.185.148 and obviously my modem.

cf4

It could be your PC is being overloaded. Have you checked Task manager. If Disk usage or cpu usage is over 50% it could be causing the packet loss.

Grizz1

My CPU and disk levels do not go over 5% when im idle. However when I'm gaming it can range from 20%-40%. I've been using Guesswire to monitor app usage and I do see an increase in bandwidth before my internet drops out. Could this be an Ethernet overload? If so, how can I fix it?

cf4

What type of Internet connection do you have. If the connection is ADSL it could be the ADSL link is to slow for the amount of traffic and there is not much you can do about the speed of a ADSL link. Have you run a speed test to see how much bandwidth is available?

Grizz1

I'm running cable. I've ran the google and telstra speeds test before, both saying that I have very fast internet capable of playing multiple HD videos at once. 

48.2Mbps Download

3.72Mbps Upload

cf4

If you are on NBN HFC the upload speed seems low would expect about 18 Mbps

If on Telstra cable would expect an download speed of over a 100 Mbps.

Have you tried doing speed test from another device?

Grizz1

I ran the test again on two devices. The same computer and my phone.

Computer: 68.8 D

4.09 U

Phone: 50.6 D

3.93 U

cf4

What Model Modem do you have?

Grizz1

netgear cm450-1tlaus

cf4

Log into modem http://192.168.100.1 and go to  Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password and post the modem stats.
You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

Grizz1

Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (sym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)SNR (dBmV)DOCSIS Locked
LockedQAM25696952000 sym/sec438000000 Hz4.5 dBmV42.5 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256106952000 sym/sec446000000 Hz3.9 dBmV41.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256116952000 sym/sec454000000 Hz4.4 dBmV42.5 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256126952000 sym/sec462000000 Hz3.6 dBmV41.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256136952000 sym/sec470000000 Hz3.7 dBmV41.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256146952000 sym/sec478000000 Hz2.9 dBmV41.4 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256156952000 sym/sec486000000 Hz2.4 dBmV41.0 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256166952000 sym/sec494000000 Hz2.1 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS

Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (Ksym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)
LockedATDMA725120 Ksym/sec61800000 Hz48.5 dBmV
Not LockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

cf4

Those figures look good. Doesn't look like is the coax link that is causing drop outs.

Which model modem do you have connected to the Netgear cm450-1tlaus?

Grizz1

Technicolor DJA0230TLS

cf4

On the basic home screen it should show the link speed of the connection between PC and modem. It should show 1000Mbps.

Grizz1

All ethernet and wired connections are showing 100Mbps. You reckon this might be the problem?

cf4

It could be causing the problem. It could be the Ethernet Adapter on PC is only cable of 100 Mbps, the cable might be faulty or the settings on the PC LAN port might be incorrect.

Grizz1

is there a way of increasing the link speed?

cf4

You could check that the Ethernet adapter is set to full duplex 1 Gbps

To do this

Click "Start | Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center."

Step 2
Click the "Change adapter settings" in the left pane, and then right-click the "Local Area Connection" connection and choose "Properties" from the context menu.

Step 3
Click the "Configure" button, and then click the "Advanced" tab.

Step 4
Select "Speed & Duplex" in the Property list.

Step 5
Select the speed and duplex settings in the Value box. Your choices are 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, 10 Mbps Full Duplex, 10 Mbps Half Duplex, 100 Mbps Full Duplex and 100 Mbps Half Duplex. Auto Negotiation allows the network adapter to negotiate the maximum speed with the device it's connected to. If 1.0 Gbps is not available the network adapter is not capable of 1 Gbps.

Click "OK" to apply and save the new settings.

Grizz1

I changed to "1.0Gbps Full Duplex" and my connection completely cut out. The modem light next to me for my PC also turned off. I have now changed it back to "auto negotiate" and it's now fine. So I'm guessing it's not available on this network adaptor. 

It's strange how this only occurred recently and was not a problem before.

Grizz1

I also have a switch. Would that be the reason I'm limited to 100Mbps?

cf4

The fact that the 1 Gbps option is available indicates your Ethernet adapter is capable of 1 Gbps so it might be a faulty cable preventing the Ethernet card being set to 1 Gbps. Is the cable connecting PC to modem a cat 6 LAN cable? If it was a faulty cable causing the low speed that might explain the drop outs but I think is more likely to be a problem in the Telstra local network causing the drop outs.. Probably on the hop to 203.50.11.173 (bundle-ether1.ken-edge903.sydney.telstra.net).

When I do a ping plot to Google there is no random packet loss on the hop to 203.50.11.173 (bundle-ether1.ken-edge903.sydney.telstra.net). There is only some packet loss if I do speed test from PC but less than 1% and not on that hop.

Grizz1

The cable connected is a cat 5 LAN cable.

I've tried connecting a different cable to bypass the modem next to me and the switch so I have a direct connection to the Telstra modem and even then I still had dropouts. However I did not run a ping trace while on the direct connection to the telstra modem. 

I also agree that it may be a Telstra problem. I've had a technician come over and had Telstra do a 24hr log check on my connection and they say it is just fine, except one timeout in that 24hr period. The fact that I can ping my router with no packet loss but I have packet loss when pinging to the internet, shows that there is a chance it's a telstra problem. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit