Level 1: Cadet

Internet Connection dropping

I've reached boiling point with Telstra's pathetic Internet connection. For months we have been complaining about the slow connection and the sudden dropping of the network. We keep getting offered solutions that work for a few days and then it's back to chaos. Since the last few months: We have spent 3 full days on talking to Telstra's useless message support system, bought a wifi booster and even got sent a new modem because tech said the old one was faulty. Same problem. I literally have to turn my wifi off and on 3-4 times a day. I'm embarrassed because I WFM and in the middle of my video calls with clients, my net drops. They think I live in a bush. I'm this close from switching providers. We've had enough. They either send a technician out to my place to fix it once and for all. Or I'm gone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Internet Connection dropping

What type of connection is it (ADSL, Cable, FTTN, FTTC, FTTP, FW, HFC)?

What colour are the lights on the modem, and do they change when the dropout occurs?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Jupiter.

NBN and it's green. Sometimes they change to orange when it drops but other times, it stays green. 

OK. The orange light would indicate that yes, it is losing it's connection to the NBN and that it is either trying to connect, or that it if it takes more than 6 minutes to reconnect, it will failover and switch to Mobile backup mode.

It sounds like there might be an intermittent fault on your service. These can be hard to pick up, as if someone isn't looking at your connection when it happens, it can be hard to verify or track down.

You can directly request Telstra to book an NBN technician to come out and fix your connection (they will tell you that if the problem is found to be with your equipment, then you will be charged for the visit - that is standard for the NBN). NBN Co will then do a remote check of your service, when they don't see a problem (as it is intermittent), they will cancel the appointment. You will then need to rebook (maybe a couple of times) before someone actually comes out an checks your service.

If you can take a copy of the connection log in the modem, then that will help prove that there is a disconnection event occurring. Note: the log is reset every time that your modem reboots, so you need to save a copy before resetting the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit