pamelaandgarry
Level 3: Gumshoe

Internet connection threatened to be terminated.

Answered

I just received a phone call from "Telstra (security?)" threatening  that my connection is

about to be terminated.

Is their a problem with my account ( don't see why as I am in credit) ? 

Or, is their a large number of hackers/scammers going the rounds under the pretence of 

reprinting Telstra Security .

I have been receiving a lot of these calls recently , and needed to get advice from

my bank re internet banking , as there has also been many texts sent re "Verifying Account"

which the Officer states are scams , as others are also receiving them .

Are Telstra doing something about these attempts ??

Would appreciate some opinions/ advice on these matters .

Garry.

Garry
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet connection threatened to be terminated.

This is a scam. I have received several of these phone calls of people pretending to be from Telstra. They are either after your security information or attempt to get you to install a back door on one of your devices to enable them to gain access.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Accepted Solution

This is a scam. I have received several of these phone calls of people pretending to be from Telstra. They are either after your security information or attempt to get you to install a back door on one of your devices to enable them to gain access.

View solution in original post

pamelaandgarry
Level 3: Gumshoe

So what can be done about these matters ?

Seems to be a few groups around working on

1/  "Problems with your Account / Connection "

2/  "Bank Account needs to be verified"

3/  " Your Internet connection about to be terminated "

Being a 76 yr old pensioner , all this is rather intimidating.,

and I only use the basic level of your services.

By the way , I haven't  started on Pre-Paid mobiles , YET !

Garry
cf4

I am 70 years. I have always used a prepaid phone since I started using a mobile phone not only is it cheaper  but also I know exactly what the costs is per month. There are no unexpected charges. 

There is nothing companies or the government can do to stop these scams except educate people to be vary off scams. If you get anything unexpected contact the company using the companies published phone or email address. Don't use the phone number or click on any links in unexpected messages.

Jess203
Level 1: Cadet

Hello I was getting quite a few of these threatening that I was going to be disconnected from the internet. So, on the last call I replied “ thank you, I have been waiting for someone to finally disconnect me”. Done, I have not heard from them since.

ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

We've heard of customers receiving calls from people impersonating representatives from well-known government departments & private companies. You can find information about whether it's really Telstra calling here & report unwelcome calls here. We also list current scams we're aware of here. Hope that helps ease some concern. Wishing you all a merry xmas & a happy new year Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit