chrislovespugs
Level 2: Rookie

Internet constantly dropping out

I’m really just wanting to report this issue, and see if anyone has any ideas. I am very reluctant to contact Telstra, as previous efforts don’t seem to prove fruitful in the long run. But if anyone has any suggestions (beyond ‘did you reset the modem/turn the power off?) it would be appreciated.

I am from Camden South, a suburb in Southwest Sydney, NSW. I have FTTP broadband. This has been an issue ever since changing over to nbn, about 12 months ago. The modem is a Telstra Gateway Max 2 (which I was sent after the first Gateway didn’t work long). Here are the dates in 2018 when the internet has dropped out:

April:13

May: 24, 25 (used chat 24/7 to investigate)

August: 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

September: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 15, 17

October: 5, 6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

November: 4, 5, 7

*(Note: these are just the days it happened, not the individual times it dropped out, which were much higher)

In May, I did a telstra online chat, not sure what was actually done but it seemed to be OK for a few months. 

When I read  the modem event logs when it drops out, I gets lots of text strings saying things like: ‘fatal error, reinitializing’ or ‘HAMMERING’, or even ‘BIG HAMMER’. And, granted I don’t understand how to ‘read’ the event logs, but even I can work out that doesn’t sound good!

Sometimes it shows up as an ‘outage’, most times it doesn’t. I have tried to keep screenshots whenever something happened, which is why I have a record of the dates. Mostly it just re-connects itself, without me having to do anything. Then it will go days without an issue, some days it might only do it once or twice, other days it will happen over and over again. Sometimes I reset it, unplug it, etc, but basically there’s nothing I’ve tried that has made a difference. It is random in the times of day it happens. As I’m typing this, it has dropped and reset itself about 5 or 6 times.

The think that bugs me themost is that when I switch to 4G data, I use up my data and Telstra sends me a cheery text saying ‘We’ve just given you more data!’, which means they’ve charged me an extra $10. And yes, I opted for this, but it irks me that I’m paying for something that is not my fault. 

I know I’m going to have to resign myself to contacting telstra soon but I really hate doing that soooooo much. 

Maybe I should just plug in my D-Link? (The one I bought *before* my area got nbn). 

Anyway, any suggestions? 

Chris 🙂

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Internet constantly dropping out

Hi chrislovespugs,

I'm sorry to read your NBN isn't working the way it should, that's a disappointing scenario. 

You can check for known widespread outages here http://tel.st/rry5r & there's some great troubleshooting here http://tel.st/gsldk alternately call 132200 & say 'NBN fault' .

Let me know how you get on

-Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

chrislovespugs

Hello Angela,

Thank you for your time, I know you are trying to be helpful. Yes, I do know how to check for outages and also mentioned that in my actual post. I have also repeatedly been through a variety of ‘troubleshooting’ methods, some of which end with “Great! Looks like your problem is solved!”, when clearly it is NOT solve. I realise these are standard answers from people who work for Telstra, but they ultimately leave customers frustrated, disappointed and angry and do nothing to actually fix the problem. Luckily my ‘contract’ has just expired and I will NOT be renewing with Telstra for the first time in my entire life. Telstra needs to do better.

Also, I need to add today to my list of dates when my internet has dropped out as it’s happened twice in the last few hours.

Sorry, I cannot go with ‘Accepted Solution’.
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

What is happening on your NBN NTD? Is the light on the Uni-D1 port changing when yhe dropouts occur?

If you plug a computer directly in to the Uni-D1 port, does it experience dropouts?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
chrislovespugs

Hello Jupiter,

I’ve had nearly two weeks of connection, no dropouts at all. But it’s just started again. In light of your question I realised I had written FTTP instead of FTTN. Hence, I do not have an NTD, just a normal ‘phone’ socket connection.

I have more dates to add, so I will post these here instead of editing my original post.

November

10, 11, 24, 25, 27

Between the 11th and the 24th of November everything has been perfect.

But now it’s started again. When I search via the Telstra HomeDashboard, there’s an ‘outage’. Perhaps every one of the dates I have mentioned have been ‘outage’ dates. It would be interesting for a Telstra person to check if ALL the dates when my connection has dropped out are due to ‘outages’. I have taken some screen shots where this is indicated. But I find it hard to believe that they are ALL due to outages. I’d hate to be trying to run a business in my area.
Jupiter

Being on FTTN, that's a totally different kettle of fish.

The usual cause of dropouts on an FTTN connection is a faulty termination, normally at the Node, but could be in one of the pits between yourself and the Node. More likely to happen if an NBN Technician has been doing works at the Node or associated Pillar (as they can cause the wires to move and thereby temporarily disconnecting you).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Pryza
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Unfortunately the best option is to pick up the phone and speak to Telstra faults on 1800 T Fibre and choose the option for technical assistance. They're equipped with some tools to do some testing and diagnose your line.

It sounds like you have a high resistant joint out in the field, or even potentially a loose connector causing a short. if it's FTTN they should also be able to access drop log which should correlate with the above logs you've provided (and have individual disconnections + times). They can provide this information to NBN who can then review and determine if a field technician needs to attend. With any luck they may be able to confirm the issue is outside of the property and schedule a commitment where you do not need to be in attendance.
Although I am an ex-Telstra employee, all answers I provide are of my own opinion and knowledge.
chrislovespugs

Thank you, Pryza (and Jupiter) for your explanation of what could be wrong. Looks like I’m going to have to ‘bite the bullet’, so to speak, and actually call Telstra support. At this very moment, there’s still ‘an outage’ (the same one I mentioned about 9 hours ago), so I really need to wait until that’s not the problem.

I have already had the problem of a technician causing ‘our’ connection to be disloged or not re-connected properly when he/she was connecting something for our next-door neighbours. I thought it would be very unlucky for that to have happened *AGAIN*, but I guess it could?

At that time, there was just no connection at all, but the dropouts since August have been intermittent and happen any time.

I will post any information on the outcome of this dilemma after I’ve called them.

Thank you for your time.
ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented

Unfortunately, it looks like you have a dropout once in a few days and then nothing... Being currently involved in Telstra versus NBN battle (and Telstra is doing the best they can, while NBN is misbehaving!!!), NBN will not do anything if you have an occasional drop out... Unless you have around 10 dropouts a day, you won't get NBN to do anything... I am using Brains Trust resources here and I am also having elevated complaints manager for my issue. NBN is simply closing all support tickets, citing "guarantees" that are unfortunately too low... Like max 12mbps down speed, when my probably incorrectly terminated copper should be capable of 33mbps...
Finally, once transferred to NBN, Telstra is not responsible for outages... Telstra is just merely passing information from NBN onto you...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
chrislovespugs

Hi ForensicsGuru,

Thank you for sharing that information. Even though I listed the dates of ‘drop outs’, this definitey has happened at least ten times a day on some (half? many?) of the dates I listed. Dropping and connecting over and over. As I’m writing this, it’s been up for about 25 mins, but has now clicked off, with link, online and phone lights all off. 

I don’t know if it’s Telstra or NBN that is at fault. I *do* know it’s not me that’s at fault. I just want it fixed and I don’t want to pay for any ‘extra data’ that Telstra offers me. 

Surely that’s not too much to ask?    🙂

ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented

No, it is not too much to ask... You just need to be persistent... You would not believe what sort of b***** I had to go through sorting my issue... Just to be transparent... My connection was consistently 30+mbps down and around 10mbps up for about 20 months... Then suddenly at the day I saw NBN person working on the node, my connection dropped to 20mbps down and 10mbps up... I have results of various physical tests proving there is grounding and foreign voltage issue on my copper collected by Telstra, but NBN is consistently dismissing cases claiming that my speed is within guaranteed minimum (which I believe is 12 down and 4? up???)… Each time anyone from Telstra makes ticket to NBN (or even escalates it through higher levels) it gets deleted by NBN with the same explanation - "it is within guaranteed levels"... Finally, today, NBN apparently accepted my claim and is going to send the technician to check the copper...
I am not defending Telstra, but I have learnt in the last 10 days or so, that Telstra is in hands of NBN...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit