Retiring
Level 2: Rookie

Internet drops out around same time 1.30pm every day for about 3 mins

Was a new NBN connection 3 years ago with no issues. Now for the past 4 months at around 1.30pm every day the internet drops out for only about 4 minutes max. We have made no changes i.e. no new security systems connected etc. We have the usual smart TV with netflix etc. We use a Sagemcom F@ST5355 Modem provided by Telstra 3 years ago when we set up the new connection. My wife and I both work from home so we plan our lunch breaks around the inevitable drop out always between 1pm and 2pm like clock work!!

Not a major inconvenience but just wondering why!!! Reluctant to use the tech help call centre as I have found past communications in that space frustrating. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the cause may be?

We are based on the Sunshine Coast in the suburb of Buderim QLD

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Marty_M
Level 8: Inspector

Re: Internet drops out around same time 1.30pm every day for about 3 mins

Possibly some type of electromagnetic interference (EMI). Suggest you monitor what happens around that time such are what electrical motors activate or say a neighbour gets home and uses his remote garage door causing the issue. 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

The gateways log will give a good indication of what might be causing the drop outs.  Could you post the modems log for the period just before, during and just after the drop out. I think the log can be found here in modem settings at .Advanced > Gateway Settings > Maintenance or Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General.

Ip address of modem is http://10.0.0.138, password is admin.

Retiring

Log today Aug 5th

Retiring

This might be a better log from a few days ago

cf4

The logs indicate there  is a problem with the FTTN link. Are you sure its occurring at same time every day? if it was occurring at random periods it would indicate a faulty termination in one of the pits or pillars. Check that nothing is connected to any spare phone sockets.  If its occurring at same time every time it could a faulty electrical appliance that gets switched on at same time every day inducing electrical noise into the phone wiring.

Retiring

I will keep an eye on it tomorrow and log the exact time

Retiring

Definite drop out today at 1.51 pm always between 1pm and 2pm. Nothing else is connected. Could it be external interference?

cf4

The log is definitely indicating the drop outs are caused by FTTN link dropping out.

31/07/2020     13:53:04     VDS is down on Port 1

05/08/2020     13:17:07     VDS is down on Port 1

07/08/2020     13:52:03     VDS is down on Port 1

It could be due to external interference.

Could you post your link info (Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL) and link stats (Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > Stats > WAN Layer 1- xDSL). These will give an indication of the quality of the link.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit