Retiring
Level 3: Gumshoe

internet keeps dropping out the same around same time each day

Answered

Internet consistently drops out every day for about 5 minutes usually between 1.00pm and 2.00pm.

Live in a new estate and this has been going on for about 2 years now. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: internet keeps dropping out the same around same time each day

It looks like the dropout are caused by the FTTN link. The link when down for 3 minutes starting at 13:13:50 indicated by log events..

"13:13:50 VDSL connectivity is down port 1

13:16:58 VDSL connectivity is up port 1"

The FTTN link doesn't look to good indicated by the low download speed (12.6 Mbps) compared to upload speed (4.3 Mbps) and the errors on the line stats. There could be some noise induced into the link at a regular period ech day from a electrical appliance or a back to base alarm system.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Are you using WiFi or ethernet?

If WiFi, try changing the channel as it sounds like interference, or someone on the same channel using a lot of data. There are innumerable reasons. Do you have a burglar alarm on the same circuit?

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Retiring

Thank You. We are using WiFi and there is a burglar alarm but it is not connected to the phone lines at all. Also problem started about 2 years ago and have had the alarm and internet for 4 years so assume that is not the problem.

How do I change  a channel?

Cheers

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Thank you Retiring.

As this is not my area of expertise, we do have a modem expert here, who has actually written manuals on the current modem/s. Hopefully, he will assist you.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
cf4

The steps for how to change the WiFi channel will depend on your modem.

First log into the modem by opening a Web browser on a device connected to the modem and going to either http://192.168.0.1, http://192.168.15.1 or http//10.0.0.138. The address will depend on which modem you have. Login credentials will be either.

admin / admin

admin / telstra

admin / Telstra.

Go to WiFi and change the WiFi channel from auto to a channel between 1 and 11 on the 2.4 GHz WiFi setting and save settings. On the 5 GHz WiFi band select a non DFS channel.

The dropouts might also be cauused by interference on the NBN link. This would be indicated by the Link, Internet, online or WAN / DSL light changing status during the dropouts. If its is due to interference on the link changing WiFi channels will not fix the dropouts.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@cf4 wrote:

On the 5 GHz WiFi band select a non DFS channel.

How do they achieve that?.

cf4

In the current model Telstra modems and some of the earlier modems the DFS channels are labled with DFS. Just select a channel that doesn't have a DSL label. Example channel 36 or 149.

Retiring

Thanks. have changed it to Channel 3 so will see what happens over the next few days.

Retiring

Changed the channel. Still dropping out. See log attached. Any ideas?

Retiring

cf4
Accepted Solution

It looks like the dropout are caused by the FTTN link. The link when down for 3 minutes starting at 13:13:50 indicated by log events..

"13:13:50 VDSL connectivity is down port 1

13:16:58 VDSL connectivity is up port 1"

The FTTN link doesn't look to good indicated by the low download speed (12.6 Mbps) compared to upload speed (4.3 Mbps) and the errors on the line stats. There could be some noise induced into the link at a regular period ech day from a electrical appliance or a back to base alarm system.

View solution in original post

Retiring

yep, looks like it is the alarm system it runs a test every day between 1pm and 2 pm. I found the manual and figured out how to look into the alarm systems log. Now I know that I will try and resolve by seeing if I can disable the test system.

cf4

I would disconnect the alarm system from the phone line. With alarm system disconnected you should notice a increase in the link speed. The back to base alarm  system should have been disconnected from phone line when NBN was installed. It probably doesn't work any more or if it does work it doesn't use the phone lines.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit