Eb01vm
Level 1: Cadet

Internet may not be available

We were switched to nbn on friday and i have plugged new modem in. All lights are green. Since then, when trying to connect devices(mobile, laptop, foxtel) via wi-fi i get a message "internet may not be available" and cant access anything online. Can anyone help? Note, im not very tech savvy, p so pls explain any potential fixes in detail!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Internet may not be available

Hello,

Some basic things

Switch off your Smart modem (and NBN box is you have one)  for 10 minutes then switch on again.

If no difference......

If you are using WiFi, try connecting your computer with an ethernet cable into the WAN port on the modem and the other end into your computer. This will isolate the possible problem to WiFi, if that is the problem.

If no difference, reset your modem.  Opposite LAN port No 2, is a groove which you press in for a few seconds with a pin until you see the lights on your modem change.

If still not working, please advise

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Eb01vm

Hi, thanks for reply. I dont have nbn box and my laptop doesnt have ethernet cable port. I tried resetting modem and no difference

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - is it only your laptop that can't connect to the Internet or all your wireless devices e.g. tablets or mobile phones.

The modem defaults its Wi-Fi Network to include two features which may challenge so older mobile devices from connecting to the Internet. If you log into a web browser using 192.168.0.1 and navigate to the 2.4 Ghz WiFi radio page, Disable Band Steering and SAVE. You should now see two Wi-Fi network names, TelstraXXXXXX (which is the 2.4 Ghz) and TelstraXXXXXX-5G. Try connecting to the 2.4 Ghz network first.  If that doesn't work, then Disable Protected Management Frames (PMF) in the 2.4 Ghz page as well and SAVE. Let us know if both suggestions don't work for you. 

Eb01vm

Hi, thanks, i think i have done both of those and still not working.

Mkrtich

OK - can you see both Telstra SSID broadcast names from your WiFi connection screen choices from any of your WiFi enabled devices but not connect to the Internet - first to confirm if modem's Wi-Fi functioning?

If so and you did a factory reset, were the passwords previously customised before a factory reset, as the passwords will fall back to default. Is the Wi-Fi button on the rear LED panel Green (ON) and the WAN/DSL LED is also green indicating a valid connection to the FTTN.

If passwords were not previously customised, you may have a faulty WiFi radio. You could confirm this by trying to connect the laptop using the WPS button method - if that doesn't work, points to Wi-Fi radio fault.

Did you receive an email from Telstra confirming you have been switched over to FTTN successfully. Is the modem's front face panel showing a Blue LED ( on 4G BackUp) or is it Green (connected to functioning NBN service).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit