Anna18
Level 2: Rookie

Internet Speed at Alton a North

My internet is so slow. I have to wait so long just for 500mb. 500 mb takes about 45m to and hour. Someone have any suggestions. Its been like this all my life. Its downloading at less than 1mbps.  Someone please help. I wouldn't mind telstra to come here and have a look.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director

Re: Internet Speed at Alton a North

What kind of connection / modem do you have? No one here can help without a few details.
For Telstra to come and have a look, you will have to jump through the hoops with someone on phone - 133933.
Alternatively you could try the troubleshooting tool at
https://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/troubleshooting-tool.

Anna18

We have an ADSL2+. This is a picture of our modem. sorry for latte reply

DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

500MB in 45min would suggest with everything else being ideal that the connection is running at about 2Mbps which isn't unheard of for an ADSL based connection.

Can you go to http://10.0.0.138 or http://192.162.0.1 > then advance > broadband > copy and paste or screenshot and paste the DSL line stats, this will include a line attenuation, line speed, max speed, noise details... these stats can help identify if the speed is because of distance, a potential fault or something else.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Anna18

well it is to slow for me is their anyway to up it to more mbps?
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Adsl speeds are primarily based on your distance from the exchange as the wire runs. The further you are away the slower the speed. Do you know if you're on adsl1 or adsl2?
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
DrQ

If you can go the link I shared and post the information from there then we can have a look at seeing if there is any chance of more Mbps... it is hard to say without seeing the line stats... as above it is mostly distance but another factor could be identified... can't say without seeing the stats though.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's also Altona North, which is a known "slow spot" for ADSL services. There have been a few people on here over the past few years (plus I know a few people personally) that have complained about the slow speeds.

If you can post your stats, then we can have a look, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for a substantial improvement (saying that from past experience).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit