lotsa_question
Level 2: Rookie

Internet speed slow

Hi I think i am one of the unlucky ones where my speed seem to be too slow... I live in Hornsby and according to tech support I am less than 1Km from the exchange, yet after several test, my speed only average around 2Mbps and would occassionally burst to 5Mbps at most using Speedtest.net and Telstra speed test instruction.  I have also tried connecting the modem directly to the phone line yet no improvement on speed.  It has been mentioned that there was an upgrade done around the aread, but seem that rather than improving the speed, it actually made it worst...  Though the tech that i was speaking told me that he is not able to do anything since my speed is still above the 1.8Mbps mark so he is unable to send a field tech out to have it check... any other suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Internet speed slow

Hello lotsa_question,

Thanks for your post regarding your slow internet speeds and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have been causing you.

Could you please give us more details regarding your current modem make/model and if you have the latest firmware update, what type of network setup you have, how many devices are connected at the same time, are you connected via wi-fi or Ethernet cable and post modem information as well  (you can find this by going into your modem interface - type 10.0.0.138 on internet explorer address bar) so some of our experts here can take a look at it for you. Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

lotsa_question

Hi Joe

My modem model is the technicolor gateway (TG582n). firmware 8.4.4.I, there are curently 2 devices connected via ethernet at the same time, the desktop PC and T-Box.   4 devices connected via wifi.  non of these devices were being used with the exception of the t-box (as someone was watching the TV) & the T-Hub (t-hub is on docked and not used for internet browsing) when several test were done.

Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi lotsa_question,

Thanks for that, when you log in to My BigPond, could you please confirm here what your current broadband plan is?

Are you on the ADSL2+ Elite plan up to 20Mbps or on the high-speed ADSL Elite up to 8Mbps? Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

lotsa_question

Yes, I am on ADSL2+ Elite Plan
Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming that lotsa_question.

Can you please check FAQ site: Broadband Speed Troubleshooter and follow troubleshooter instructions to fix your speeds.

Please let us know how you go with this. Thank you.

lotsa_question

Hi Joe

The link you provided seem to go back to this forum, but if the link should be taking me to the bigpond speed check site, I have done all the test within that site.  I have also done a check with a bigpond support before and as mentioned they can't do anything since my speed is just above the 1.8mbps bigpond assured speed... which i find appalling knowing i am less then 1km from the exchange.... 

Is there any other test that i am able to do? i again check the modem status and seem to be registering a high speed connection, but the actual download doesn't seem to provide this speed.

Thanks

Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi lotsa_question,

Thanks for your response. I must have just posted the wrong link which I've now corrected to point to the right site.

If you've already done all the testing on the website and with Technical Support, I'm afraid that there are no other further tests that you could do. 

The only other thing I can think off is basically do isolation tests, such as removing filters on the telephone line, only connecing one device at a time either via ethernet cable or via wi-fi just to see where the problem lies. 

Do you have any static noise at all on your telephone line? Do you find that speeds slows when there is rain in the area?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit