Roger117
Level 2: Rookie

Internet speed slower after line repair

I just gotten my phone line replaced (the box on my house leading out) after experiencing dropouts, triggered by heavy rain. Since then my speed has more or less halved, going from a constant 1.3Mbps (~11Mbps)  to about 500kbps (~4Mbps) on the ADSL2+ Elite 200GB plan.

I've rebooted the modem once since then and that hasnt seemed to change anything. Should the speed return to normal in a couple of days or will I need to bring this up with Telstra? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Internet speed slower after line repair

@Roger117 wrote:

I just gotten my phone line replaced (the box on my house leading out) after experiencing dropouts, triggered by heavy rain. Since then my speed has more or less halved, going from a constant 1.3Mbps (~11Mbps)  to about 500kbps (~4Mbps) on the ADSL2+ Elite 200GB plan.

Your plan type is irrelevant - If you service syncs at more then 1.5Mbps then the service is considered "within spec" and it generally won't be looked at.

It could be that they have put you on a different and longer cable then you were originally on.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Are you able to post your modem stats?
I assume that there is no longer noise on your line?

Also, Ben_F is correct. You may have been moved onto a different 'pair' which takes a different/longer route to the exchange.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Roger117

Ok, I'm not sure exactly what stats are required, but I pulled these off my modem page (TP-LINK TD-W8960N):

Mode:ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type:ATM
Link Power State:L0 

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):6459
Attenuation (0.1 dB):285124
Output Power (0.1 dBm):211124
Attainable Rate (Kbps):6680952

Path 0 Path 1 
 DownstreamUpstreamDownstreamUpstream
Rate (Kbps):464089600

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message):591000
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame):1451100
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):1400
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):11000
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):101000
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):1.01.69960.00.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame):124827300
D (interleaver depth):64400
Delay (msec):16.01.690.00.0
INP (DMT symbol):2.50.580.00.0

Super Frames:197340989960900
Super Frame Errors:0000
RS Words:128271600243933800
RS Correctable Errors:36474525621791700
RS Uncorrectable Errors:11127000

HEC Errors:2468643700
OCD Errors:96000
LCD Errors:0000
Total Cells:350908047245841602300
Data Cells:2369564419606985700
Bit Errors:019878748400

Total ES:35927174
Total SES:65
Total UAS:3030
Kalak

With an attenuation of 28.5db you would expect speeds in the 12-16Mbps range.  So I'm not entirely sure why you're getting such a low sync rate.

Are you able to perform an isolation test?  Unplug absolutely everything from your phone sockets (including things like Foxtel boxes and ADSL filters).  Plug just the modem into the first socket (normally closest to the street, not the extension in the bedroom for example).  See if that changes anything.

All that being said, Ben_F is right in that with the speeds you are getting, as it's within spec they are unlikely to lodge any sort of fault for you to look further into it.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Roger117

After your suggestion to conduct an isolation test, I have discovered that having the phone plugged in along with the modem will cut the speed by 2/3. Without the phone plugged in, I reach max speeds of 1.4Mbps, which is much better.

It seems that having the phone plugged in different sockets to the modem, or with a splitter through the same socket will reduce the speed? 

Do you have any suggestions to why this is happening? Previously I reached similar speeds (1.3Mbps) using the phone in the socket closest to the street and the modem in a different room. From what I have tried, moving the modem forward and the phone backward into the house has not seemed to solve the problem.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Every single device in your house that shares the same telephone number (Foxtel/Phones/ADSL) needs to have a filter on it.

If you are having issues with the phone even when its connected via a filter (and you have installed the filter correctly) it could indicate a faulty filter.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Kalak

It may be something as simple as a faulty in-line filter (assuming you don't have a central splitter).  However as horrible as this may sound, at least we know it's something on your end that is causing the issue, so we can rule out the network and potential incorrect callout fees if you lodged a fault.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit