Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Internet Speed Slower Than Your Nan Getting Up In The Morning

Asking on behalf of my father, as for some reason he has an incredible amount of brand loyalty towards a company who does nothing but up-sell him to products to doesn't need/know how to use and will refuse to change to a better/cheaper/easier service.

Why is the internet speed at my father's house getting 0.81Mbps Download and 0.21 Upload? I just watched an image on my browser load and brought back memories of the days of dial-up. How at these speeds is my dad even able to stream Foxtel through his T Box that he was talked into signing up for? He was sold a small wireless modem to use while working away and this is what he uses to connect his tablet to watch movies from instead of the home wifi!

Apparently he has tried calling Telstra on multiple occasions to get to the bottom of the issue and keeps being told to wait for NBN to be connected which was meant to be available from March 2018 in our area but has now been pushed back to April 2019.

This is a disgusting example of a clueless older man believing the 'advice' being sold to him from so called customer service agents but instead being taken advantage of for a commission! My dad doesn't even know what Foxtel is and has had it for years!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Internet Speed Slower Than Your Nan Getting Up In The Morning

It would be useful to run the Telstra trouble shooting tool for which I have provided a link. Thank you

https://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/troubleshooting-tool
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Assuming he as ADSL, Please post your modem stats so we can have a look and see whats going on:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway or Smart Modem
(DJN2130 & DJA0230 ):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband

Default password is generally 'admin'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Why is the internet speed at my father's house getting 0.81Mbps Download and 0.21 Upload?

I cannot answer this without knowing exact location of your father's house and even then I cannot be definitive. But unless he lives in some God forgotten place (my father-in-law lives in one of those), this does not look right...

Can you follow other posters' advice and posts some stats and more details - please without any privacy data?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director

In one word "Yes"
Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit